UHF VHF Ladder Antenna

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
Macman
Call Sign: 163TM

UHF VHF Ladder Antenna

Post by Macman »

Thought I'd share this one. Simple to make, and inexpensive, just make sure your measurements include all plugs and sockets and that they are accurate. The image shows a RG58 choke which is fine if you are using that cable, but I recommend using 70 OHM satellite coax for the entire job. Makes SWR adjustment easy and is a better match anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yesterday It Worked, Today It Won't That's Radio.
M0JSW

Re: UHF VHF Ladder Antenna

Post by M0JSW »

Good little antenna and a nice simple project that will cost very little too.
This was my first homebrew antenna as an M6 and its still up and working after 7 years...in fact it's lasted longer than my interest in VHF.
M0JSW
Macman

Post by Macman »

M0JSW wrote:Good little antenna and a nice simple project that will cost very little too.
This was my first homebrew antenna as an M6 and its still up and working after 7 years...in fact it's lasted longer than my interest in VHF.

That's why I built it, but to tell the truth, this side of the Severn (Cardiff) it's pretty dead. Take it into England and it comes alive. We have a good steady repeater in Pontypridd, and I can work Bristol so it does open things up, but my idea of buying a dedicated VHF UHF base has been discarded. Folks are turning to Dstar now, and that's not radio in my humble opinion.....If you need a computer then it's a hybrid. I understand the attraction, but it's not for me.
mattltm
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by mattltm »

I've made a few of these. They live in a bag with my portable gear. Nice a lightweight and easy to strap to the side of a telescopic pole with the HF wire underneath.
"Spooky action at a distance."
M0JSW

Post by M0JSW »

mattltm wrote:I've made a few of these. They live in a bag with my portable gear. Nice a lightweight and easy to strap to the side of a telescopic pole with the HF wire underneath.
That's exactly how mine is mounted.The beauty is that,as you say,you can take it down,roll it up,and take it anywhere.
M0JSW
Trog

Post by Trog »

Macman wrote:
M0JSW wrote:Good little antenna and a nice simple project that will cost very little too.

That's why I built it, but to tell the truth, this side of the Severn (Cardiff) it's pretty dead. Take it into England and it comes alive. We have a good steady repeater in Pontypridd, and I can work Bristol so it does open things up, but my idea of buying a dedicated VHF UHF base has been discarded. Folks are turning to Dstar now, and that's not radio in my humble opinion.....If you need a computer then it's a hybrid. I understand the attraction, but it's not for me.
I'm hoping VHF this side of the Severn is not too dead as I live in South (The Vale of) Glamorgan and I've yet to pass my Foundation. :o
Macman

Post by Macman »

Trog wrote:
Macman wrote:

I'm hoping VHF this side of the Severn is not too dead as I live in South (The Vale of) Glamorgan and I've yet to pass my Foundation. :o
Don't be too discouraged by the lack of VHF/UHF in Wales. The Bristol repeater is probably your best bet, but Ponty is normally operational. There are very few people on though. If you can get into England, it opens up a whole new world. That's why I use a handy, can take it with me.