PLT Device Schematic

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
2E1IIP

Re: PLT Device Schematic

Post by 2E1IIP »

cjay wrote:
PROLIANT wrote:
Mattylad wrote:Can I ask why?

Surely you don't want to build one yourself?
Might as well just pick up your radios and throw them in the bin if so :)
Gosh no, couple of reasons:
I am looking for a way to better filter either the unit itself or design a method of externally filtering the QRM from the device to other radio equipment.
Failing the latter then having better understood the technology, find a way to disrupt the operation of the device.
So if you can't filter the noise out you'll be creating even more RF hash.

Nice.

Last time I checked, deliberately causing interference like that was illegal.

Well done you.
I fail to see your point? Where in any of my posts have I indicated causing RFI?
Drop the attitude and try reading and understanding the information prior to spouting off flotsam.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

PROLIANT wrote:then having better understood the technology, find a way to disrupt the operation of the device.
Well given that you said the devices are in a neighbour's house, how are you planning to disrupt their operation? Break in and smash them up with a golf club?
2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP »

kr0ne wrote:
PROLIANT wrote:then having better understood the technology, find a way to disrupt the operation of the device.
Well given that you said the devices are in a neighbour's house, how are you planning to disrupt their operation?
The devices have an MCU, I am looking in to a way to send a reset/soft power down command.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

How would you send it to the device?
cjay
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: cjay

Post by cjay »

PROLIANT wrote: Gosh no, couple of reasons:
I am looking for a way to better filter either the unit itself or design a method of externally filtering the QRM from the device to other radio equipment.
Failing the latter then having better understood the technology, find a way to disrupt the operation of the device.

I fail to see your point? Where in any of my posts have I indicated causing RFI?
Drop the attitude and try reading and understanding the information prior to spouting off flotsam.
Enlighten me then, how else are you going to 'disrupt' the operation of the devices if you're not going to broadcast interference or illegally break into their network to send your 'power down' packet?

Either way you're on the wrong side of the law and there are far better ways to deal with the situation (filters, education and neighbourly co-operation) than causing more of a problem.

Design the external filter, if you can make it work then you're on a winner, there must be thousands of people who'd want one and would pay for it.

I doubt very much that a filter on the device itself would work without stopping the PLT devices working. A bit of a disadvantage if you want PLT users to use them.
EARSEGPK
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: PK303

Re: PLT Device Problem

Post by EARSEGPK »

Ok have I got this wrong or is the real problem that the neighbour needs to have a data link and their use of PLT devices is causing you QRM?

Could they not use a good old Ethernet cable and a switch/router? or if they don`t want a cable hanging about how about a t2.4GHz wifi link, they are cheap and easy these days. I know 2.4GHz wifi has some negative effects on the RF spectrum around it but they are normally short range and easy to attenuate so Wifi is WAY better than having PLT gear nearby.

If it is at all possible to explain to the neighbour that they are broadcasting through the wiring in the whole street, and 'scattering their data' through other houses, (neither of which is a good thing) and wifi is better, safer, easier to control, and can be made more secure than PLT

Lets see:

-The wifi router/AP is in a single known location on known frequencies that cause very little QRM.

-The PLT devices are broadcasting from everywhere there is electrical wiring and are splattering multiple frequencies across a huge chunk spectrum.

I know which one I would rather have next door to me and I would probably swap them some wifi gear for their nasty PLT units just to convert them into tiny bits with a lump hammer, would be best for all! :-)
73`s EARS-EGPK
The quieter we become, the more we can hear..
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I would suggest knocking on their door and bloodying the nose of the person that answers, alternatively.

If your equipment being interfered with is legal and comes under an Ofcom licence you can report the issue.

If it's not then try the former.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

You could always find out who it is and offer to help them install proper wires.

Also show them the QRM they are producing.
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

Screw the finger-waggers Proliant. If you find a way to interrupt these heinous devices you'll be a hero to many. :)
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

right on.... :)