Question haha

Scanning radio frequencies in Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
Blueflash
Regular
Regular

Question haha

Post by Blueflash »

Hey guys i have this huge ass cb antenna on the side of my house it's this one http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/base-cb-an ... -wave.html

Would there be any way in scanner's to connect that to my scanner ubc72xlt cause i think it would be amazing to have somit that high thanks.
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Question haha

Post by Minus1 »

It probably has an SO239 connector on the end of the cable, so you just need an SO239 Female to BNC Male adaptor.
It'll doubtless be good for occasional foreign VHF Low dx, but no so good for UHF.
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
Blueflash
Regular
Regular

Post by Blueflash »

Hey well im currently using a £15 antenna small one off amazon and im wondering will it be a big improvement? andby occasional low VHF will it still pick up good Airband,Shopwatches,etc asda radios and stuff like that? cause i dont want to invest like £1.50 randomly and it to not work as good as the £15 antenna off amazon haha, i see UHF only goes 300 upwards and i normally dont really scan that upwards but yeah, what about the **** noise filtering? cause it doesnt really have a coil its just a metal pole lol.
JGR
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by JGR »

It will be very inefficient for the services you mentioned and to be honest it will be a struggle to hear anything in the VHF UHF range as mentioned above. I tried my Gainmaster on the VHF amateur bands and the results were that I was barely able to hear them, so much so that the indoor dipole was hearing them better.
Do not believe everything that is in black and white.
Oh and prestigious Winner of "In Before The Lock June 2014"
Flex 5000A, Trio TS-830S, Icom IC-E2820, IC-E92D and a DVB-T SDR Dongle
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

it'll work to a degree..
size is not everything when it comes to scanners, it's if they are tuned right..
a CB aerial works best on CB...oh and maybe 25 to 32mhz, after that it'll work as good as a coat hanger..
you ca buy PL-259 to BNC adaptors,
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!