current standards of the foundation licencee..

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Dagnabbit

Re: current standards of the foundation licencee..

Post by Dagnabbit »

Seriously..?... they have to bleep out the tit in the middle of attitude? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Monsta
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Monsta »

you should see what they do with words like Cunctator ? :ugeek:
10/11: Anytone AT-5555, President Lincoln - Astatic Audio
HF: Kenwood TS2000 ,Kenwood G707, Heil Goldline,
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

dnakaraoke wrote:
jonajuna wrote:listen to the grumpy old men going on about "back in the day", education isn't what it used to be", "the youth are all rotten, bring back national service"

i start my foundation course next week and do you know what? i hope to god i never run into some of you lot on the bands else i might find myself being a bad op and swearing too

:(

Agree 100%

If I'd had known that amateur radio was full of biggoted, short - minded users I wouldn't had bothered studying for the foundation exam and saved my money!
I've been interested in amateur radio since the age of 11 (we had a radio club and ejoyed listening to 10M on a bit of wire) - I'm 43 years of age now and want to take the hobby to the next level (I've been busy or I'd have done it sooner) :lol:

It now seems to me that amateur radio is no better than 27.78125 on the muppets!

Is this your on air experience or just forum hot air by people with an opportunity to share their concerns with other people, you see, the Internet isn't real life, now that may come as a shock, but keyboard warriors hide behind their online persona, safe in the knowledge they can vent with little, if no, retribution.

if you've found nothing but hatred and bigotry on air then you're doing something wrong, I've never experienced it or for that matter, heard it.
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
dnakaraoke
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0DCZ

Post by dnakaraoke »

I have yet to sit the foundation (2 weeks) time, so I have yet to experience what it's like to talk to a qualified amateur.
I'm just going by what people are saying on the forum about foundation users. Yes, there are some bad ones that you're quite rightly moaning about.
Please don't tar all foundation users with the same brush.

Now back to my fishing....
Monsta
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Monsta »

It's not as bad as people make out,
and you normally get the same ratio of civility whether you are CB/FB/HAM
..after all people are people.

We spoke about a Utopia earlier on in the thread
and can you imagine if we had

a) the camaraderie and social aspects of CB
b) the spirit of Free-banding
c) the technical aspects and power, range of HAM Radio

then that would be something :) as long as it was regulated and enforced well
It's not the exam or the equipment that causes issues ...it's almost 95% the PEOPLE
...and for than you need enforcement and legislation and that costs ! . ..And i am sure we would all pay "something" for a better world

Ham Radio has become VERY Quiet and it NEEDS new blood or it will die eventually. CB & FB need more power and a greater range to operate ..these are 2 global truths .

there is an answer in there....but it will never be implemented due to our separatist attitudes and xenophobia of one another ....which is sad.

In the meantime i suppose the only rout to friendlier and busier ham radio is to get as many new users of CB and also Freebanders over onto our bands via the licensing process ....but this again needs to be monitored at club level, as we don't want an influx of "tards" who just wan to make trouble

its a tricky one ...but the more decent Cb-ers and Freebanders move over to Ham Radio the friendlier it will become. It's no good moaning that we have all the bands and the power .... come and join us!
WhiteNoisePoetry

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

>In the meantime i suppose the only rout to friendlier and busier ham radio is to get as many new users of CB >and also Freebanders over onto our bands via the licensing process ....but this again needs to be monitored at >club level, as we don't want an influx of "tards" who just wan to make trouble

You mean just like the three 'tards I heard on 28.450 earlier on FM, splattering about with poor signals,
and not responding to pleas of please QSY up the band to the FM bit as your messing up a whole load of
DX qso's within 30Khz of them.

Typical of the influx these days :(

And people wonder why we moan so much.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

Monsta wrote:It's no good moaning that we have all the bands and the power .... come and join us!

A moment of silence please.

We've lost him. :cry:

Next he'll be wearing a pointy white hat and asking for his previous CB posts to be deleted. :cry:
jonajuna
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: jon

Post by jonajuna »

northern35s wrote: Is this your on air experience or just forum hot air by people with an opportunity to share their concerns with other people, you see, the Internet isn't real life, now that may come as a shock, but keyboard warriors hide behind their online persona, safe in the knowledge they can vent with little, if no, retribution.

if you've found nothing but hatred and bigotry on air then you're doing something wrong, I've never experienced it or for that matter, heard it.
fortunately, my experience of listening in on hams (2m/70cm repeaters and while in snowdonia last week, 2m simplex sota CQs and via websdr) is that most people chat with others nicely and politely, yes generally its either what they had for tea, or about their latest radio kit/problems..... i havent heard any "muppets" or music playing. maybe im just fortunate or maybe its more as you say...

fingers crossed, i dont run across said muppets whether radio based or web based when "on the bands" which ever ones they may be

:)
Monsta
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Monsta »

no never !!!
we are ALL radio brothers...

and the 'tards that make CB such a bad place these days are the same clowns tuning their antennas on the ham call channels or keying out on the repeaters

they are the real enemy and drive people away ...i know of at least 3 guys in the last year that have sold up because they can't leave the cb radio on in the car due to bucketmouths

last year i know 2 absolute abortion-adverts who livelocal to me that use CB/PMR and basically just enjoy earning he online equivalent of ASBO's ...their favourite mindless trick is recording peoples conversations are playing them for NO APPARENT BENEFITS.

Well i heard that one or both of them were going for their foundation, they are about 19 years old ...now i know that one of them passed it as he was telling someone on 19 ...i heard them asking him why he took it ...his answer " for shits and giggles" and NOW e has ...wait for it ....wait for it ...a BAOFENG ...what else ...now i heard he has been on one of the repeaters shouting "side" "side" and then asking people to "listen to his DJ mixing" ...he apparently IS an amateur DJ ...apparently ....now because nobody wants to hear him ...because basically he is an annoying c**t he spends about ...hmm an hour ever few nights making daft noises and playing music over not just the call but over local QSO's

Now some of the local hams say ...he's a "typical CB tw*t" ...but that's NOT true ...CB dont want him either !

but there is no way to get rid of them EASILY in any regard

Guzzy wrote:
Monsta wrote:It's no good moaning that we have all the bands and the power .... come and join us!

A moment of silence please.

We've lost him. :cry:

Next he'll be wearing a pointy white hat and asking for his previous CB posts to be deleted. :cry:
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

Glad to hear it. ;)

As for your local problem, as someone must know who he is and what his address is, you have two options. The legal option, which is to get half a dozen local amateurs to write letters of complaint to Ofcom about his breach of licence activities.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Post by sureshot »

Guzzy wrote:Glad to hear it. ;)

As for your local problem, as someone must know who he is and what his address is, you have two options. The legal option, which is to get half a dozen local amateurs to write letters of complaint to Ofcom about his breach of licence activities.
You missed option two, but we all know that one :lol: actions dependent on request to stop. :D
"WARNING" bad for your health could lead to a lengthy prison sentence if caught. :lol: :lol: BBB :lol:
CB call. Shipwreck.
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

bigpimp347 wrote:
dnakaraoke wrote: It now seems to me that amateur radio is no better than 27.78125 on the muppets!
why not just say ch 19 muppets..!!
Because he listens to it on an Amateur rig - so the first thing he thinks of is the frequency. Much like myself most of the time these days.
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
Yeti
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Yeti »

WhiteNoisePoetry wrote:You mean just like the three 'tards I heard on 28.450 earlier on FM, splattering about with poor signals,
and not responding to pleas of please QSY up the band to the FM bit as your messing up a whole load of
Sounds to me like that's as far up the 10m band as their CBs would go.
Will the next movie in the series be The Fast and The Funeral?
phil7ldx
Regular
Regular

Post by phil7ldx »

I’m a G4 since 1978 and I think the Foundation licence is or was a good attempt at trying to re vitalize the UK Amateur radio scene . In Many ways it did , but sad to say the whole thing has been abused . There are a great many foundation licence holders who are over the moon with their achievement, many use only 10 watts , however just as many if not more don’t and many use linear amps .( Novice lic holders your just as guilty ) you can hear the pile ups being broken by M3s/M6s no way that’s on a 10 watts sig you can hear it flat topping across about 8khz come on now .

The only winners in this are the retailers who constantly tempt them with transceivers that can transmit 5w to 100watts human nature being what it is …well need I say more .
Its not policed, and to be honest I couldn’t care less anymore as I will probably pull the plug on it all in the next 12 months ( yes there will be gear for sale ..I hear you think) 2 mtrs is dead everybody wants 4 mtrs but I haven’t heard anyone on it for years . You can grow old listening to 6mtrs and keep getting told it’s a magic band.
Qrp is no longer interesting as no one really gives a toss about working qrp stations . people keep buying FT817s and want to flog them a few weeks down the line having only listened on them or tried a “ magic antenna which has turned out to be a dummy load on a stick .
HF is same old boring stuff with the qro ops trying to out gun each other . you know the ones I mean .
PSK is just pressing buttons and kidding yourself your talking to someone
As for sats…. well done that bought the tee shirt and the gear then the bird goes dead .
So called sstv is the same just sending mickey mouse pictures via the radio , what ever happened to 8second black and white and cameras ? and scan converters that was great fun even with a Speccy computer .The best fun was with the PK232 tnc what a piece of kit no rip off sound interfaces , it was all in the box fantastic qsos on rtty amtor, fec, packet . hey ho .

D Star !! whats all that about then ! no wonder the retailers are laughing their gonads off.
And the sharks ( yes we all know who they are ) buying and selling duff gear on ebay its getting more like the antiques road show for radio stuff ! what happens when it goes bang who’s gonna fork out 80 – 100 quid to repair a TS 2200gx !!

And what really freaks me out is …………….The personal here is xxxxxxxx !
Special events used to be as it says .not "activations" …. What’s all that about
And of course the old favourite the royal ! “we” ……ops never use “I” enough said .

Whinge over .. over to the Bosnian snipers....fire away.

phil
bigpimp347
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by bigpimp347 »

WhiteNoisePoetry wrote: You mean just like the three 'tards I heard on 28.450 earlier on FM, splattering about with poor signals,

Typical of the influx these days :(

And people wonder why we moan so much.

not from the northern part of Nottinghamshire were they ??
there's a few that don't have a clue what a band plan is or how to use the radio and callsigns correctly, these are the few i complain about..
as i say it's not ALL just quite a few i tend to hear from Nottingham, Derby and leicester...
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!