current standards of the foundation licencee..

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
juniorjack
Regular
Regular

Re: current standards of the foundation licencee..

Post by juniorjack »

phil7ldx wrote:I’m a G4 since 1978 and I think the Foundation licence is or was a good attempt at trying to re vitalize the UK Amateur radio scene . In Many ways it did , but sad to say the whole thing has been abused . There are a great many foundation licence holders who are over the moon with their achievement, many use only 10 watts , however just as many if not more don’t and many use linear amps .( Novice lic holders your just as guilty ) you can hear the pile ups being broken by M3s/M6s no way that’s on a 10 watts sig you can hear it flat topping across about 8khz come on now .

The only winners in this are the retailers who constantly tempt them with transceivers that can transmit 5w to 100watts human nature being what it is …well need I say more .
Its not policed, and to be honest I couldn’t care less anymore as I will probably pull the plug on it all in the next 12 months ( yes there will be gear for sale ..I hear you think) 2 mtrs is dead everybody wants 4 mtrs but I haven’t heard anyone on it for years . You can grow old listening to 6mtrs and keep getting told it’s a magic band.
Qrp is no longer interesting as no one really gives a toss about working qrp stations . people keep buying FT817s and want to flog them a few weeks down the line having only listened on them or tried a “ magic antenna which has turned out to be a dummy load on a stick .
HF is same old boring stuff with the qro ops trying to out gun each other . you know the ones I mean .
PSK is just pressing buttons and kidding yourself your talking to someone
As for sats…. well done that bought the tee shirt and the gear then the bird goes dead .
So called sstv is the same just sending mickey mouse pictures via the radio , what ever happened to 8second black and white and cameras ? and scan converters that was great fun even with a Speccy computer .The best fun was with the PK232 tnc what a piece of kit no rip off sound interfaces , it was all in the box fantastic qsos on rtty amtor, fec, packet . hey ho .

D Star !! whats all that about then ! no wonder the retailers are laughing their gonads off.
And the sharks ( yes we all know who they are ) buying and selling duff gear on ebay its getting more like the antiques road show for radio stuff ! what happens when it goes bang who’s gonna fork out 80 – 100 quid to repair a TS 2200gx !!

And what really freaks me out is …………….The personal here is xxxxxxxx !
Special events used to be as it says .not "activations" …. What’s all that about
And of course the old favourite the royal ! “we” ……ops never use “I” enough said .

Whinge over .. over to the Bosnian snipers....fire away.

phil
Hi,

I think the main problem is that no one does any electronics experimentation anymore. New hams are part of the iPod generation and this is alien to them.
Old hams find it too difficult, not justified in my view. The same challenge in the 1980's to make PLL circuit with 4xxx discrete chips or 1 kW amp with a valve, equivalent today - to code a SSB filter on a DSP and solder SMD components. Maybe because all is so much easier to buy, ready made in China, cheap, there is no more challenge or time,
no idea.

I am a newly licensed (2010) and had the Mic plugged to the rig for total of 30 min since then. And feel
bit offended to be classified as CB'er or second quality person.Anyway stereotyping is wrong.
(No offense, seen CB operation only in Hollywood movies, not sure why is used as bad word)

If you don't like computer stuff, digital technology and building, too bad. But 4m is not dead! Bunch of us
are 24/7 there, on wspr, and have put a lot of effort to make it working. If you are willing to open your
rig, modify it to be Rubidium locked, make own transverter, clock it with DDS, put a good antenna and
hunt for spots, there is still a challenge there.

If this is too much hassle, there is always Skype, its much better than 20m HF.

In my view joining the hobby just to talk on FM is pure waste of time. SSB phone on HF is no different.
These days the whole world is connected on 15 mS ping, 24/7. Making an '5-9,QRZ' to remote island holds a challenge, how ?

jonajuna
Banned
Banned
Call Sign: jon

Post by jonajuna »

wondering if i should even bother the 100 mile round trip every Thursday for the next 7 weeks to get my foundation?
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

jonajuna wrote:wondering if i should even bother the 100 mile round trip every Thursday for the next 7 weeks to get my foundation?
If a bit of forum banter puts you off the hobby, then I wouldn't bother if I was you either!
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
Jon_D
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G4FUT

Post by Jon_D »

As Northerner says, ignore the banter you see on ham forums. Start SWL'ing and see what ham radio is really about. Try digging out that weak signal from a far part of the world when it's covered in QRM. Then when you've got his call, look up his station and details on QRZ.com. 144Mhz is not the whole of ham radio (BTW I HATE using that term but I guess its now universal.)
Even if the voices on my head aren't real, they do have some pretty good ideas

Jon G4FUT
Ex-Army
RSARS 1425
phil7ldx
Regular
Regular

Post by phil7ldx »

Well to be fair I have to say, those ops that have taken the foundation licence and operate within the terms of it with great enthusiasm are showing the fabled “ham spirit” its great to hear them on and advocate what they are doing with 10 watts and a great antenna ! .
But the operating style has deteriorated as I believe little emphasis is put on it nowadays the “old man” stuff and “hi hi” stuff is a bit dated now and was really only intended for cw . but lets face it who’s gonna call a 10 yr old foundation lic holder “old man” !
I suppose the nostalgic days of an individuals golden days of amateur radio has passed into history now as has those ops before me . I think the A licence will pass into oblivion as very few will even bother to go for it as you can get away with full power even with a baby monitor.!

I think there could have been a time limit on the foundation to promote licence holders to at least apply for and sit the novice paper.
Any way it wont change not if the retailers have their way . but I wish I could get some of that enthusiasm that some m3/m6s have as this hobby certainly for me is on the way out ………
It never ceases to amaze me why retailers sell kilowatt and bigger rf amplifiers because even class A licence holders cant use that amount of power ! but all the sp/event stations use them and a fair smattering of ops do as well ! declaring that they are using the "legal limit " oh you fibbers !! why don’t ofcom just give that to us anyway? Mind you having said that there would be more mushroom clouds around my area than enough.

I just have a couple of cw qsos most days that’s about it most of the kit is stored away …the shack is shambolic,…I just have a TS2000 in the corner of the dining room out to a inv L ant pretty low key ……..until someone invents a really interesting non-sound card non computer mode maybe call it “Citizens Wireless” or CW for short …….eeerrrmmm ....maybe not !

Heard yesterday …M6xxx responding to a call on 145.500 “ you’re a bit scratchy into the box mate ….the personal here is dave .

I would have put him right only I didn’t want to be labelled a “band Policeman “
The tutors are to blame
anyway , the foundation licence is ok lets not kick it in the teeth , except for the one who lives about a quarter of a mile from me and uses a kilowatt and a 7 element multiband yagi . breaks the pile ups bemuses most of the qro ops across the pond with 40 over ...bless im.

I keep smilin through.
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

thedeerhunter270 wrote:
dnakaraoke wrote:It now seems to me that amateur radio is no better than 27.78125 on the muppets!
I was warned that some hams didn't like M6's, but once I got on the air, I didn't see any sign of it - everyone has been as good as gold.
Deerhunter, I am glad you raise that point, because although I may bemoan the current lack of activity in the northeast (compared to when I was licensed over 21 years ago :shock: ) At lease we are all civil.

Seems some of the people on here live in awful areas for radio abuse.
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
WhiteNoisePoetry

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

Yeti wrote:
WhiteNoisePoetry wrote:You mean just like the three 'tards I heard on 28.450 earlier on FM, splattering about with poor signals,
and not responding to pleas of please QSY up the band to the FM bit as your messing up a whole load of
DX qso's within 30Khz of them.
Sounds to me like that's as far up the 10m band as their CBs would go.
Yep. They seem to think getting an FL is just so they can justify using their
crappy 11m rigs whilst carrying on being utter gobshites just as they were on CB.
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

phil7ldx wrote:I’m a G4 since 1978 and I think the Foundation licence is or was a good attempt at trying to re vitalize the UK Amateur radio scene . In Many ways it did , but sad to say the whole thing has been abused . There are a great many foundation licence holders who are over the moon with their achievement, many use only 10 watts , however just as many if not more don’t and many use linear amps .( Novice lic holders your just as guilty ) you can hear the pile ups being broken by M3s/M6s no way that’s on a 10 watts sig you can hear it flat topping across about 8khz come on now .

The only winners in this are the retailers who constantly tempt them with transceivers that can transmit 5w to 100watts human nature being what it is …well need I say more .
Its not policed, and to be honest I couldn’t care less anymore as I will probably pull the plug on it all in the next 12 months ( yes there will be gear for sale ..I hear you think) 2 mtrs is dead everybody wants 4 mtrs but I haven’t heard anyone on it for years . You can grow old listening to 6mtrs and keep getting told it’s a magic band.
Qrp is no longer interesting as no one really gives a toss about working qrp stations . people keep buying FT817s and want to flog them a few weeks down the line having only listened on them or tried a “ magic antenna which has turned out to be a dummy load on a stick .
HF is same old boring stuff with the qro ops trying to out gun each other . you know the ones I mean .
PSK is just pressing buttons and kidding yourself your talking to someone
As for sats…. well done that bought the tee shirt and the gear then the bird goes dead .
So called sstv is the same just sending mickey mouse pictures via the radio , what ever happened to 8second black and white and cameras ? and scan converters that was great fun even with a Speccy computer .The best fun was with the PK232 tnc what a piece of kit no rip off sound interfaces , it was all in the box fantastic qsos on rtty amtor, fec, packet . hey ho .

D Star !! whats all that about then ! no wonder the retailers are laughing their gonads off.
And the sharks ( yes we all know who they are ) buying and selling duff gear on ebay its getting more like the antiques road show for radio stuff ! what happens when it goes bang who’s gonna fork out 80 – 100 quid to repair a TS 2200gx !!

And what really freaks me out is …………….The personal here is xxxxxxxx !
Special events used to be as it says .not "activations" …. What’s all that about
And of course the old favourite the royal ! “we” ……ops never use “I” enough said .

Whinge over .. over to the Bosnian snipers....fire away.

phil
Paints a pretty grim/gloomy picture Phil :cry:

Obviously a lot of this abuse, hatred or even activity depends on location. I like the various facets of the hobby you have tried over the years. My latest "thing" is CW. I'm currently getting myself up to speed having learned the 12wpm back in 91 and NEVER used it. Once I'm up to speed (sending is easy of course) with the 12wpm+ - ideally 20wpm, I'm going to give QRP CW a go just for chance to do something different, new and challenging.

Should that not suffice, both 4m (ssb) and 23cm are something to look at. Fortunately, the who spectrum is massive and something for everyone somewhere ;)
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
NoiseBoy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by NoiseBoy »

I don't know which circles you guys are moving in but its clearly the wrong ones! I have found every step of my amateur radio 'journey' exciting and enjoyable and i've barely scratched the surface. Unfortunately i left Uni at a bad time and ended up in a dead end job, made it through the day and went home bored, played a few games and browsed the web, had the occasional pint with the same old people etc. etc. Since being licensed i am never bored and i enjoy work because im earning money to pay for the hobby that I love and instead of going home i head up to the club to work some DX or more often to erect and experiment with new antennas and equipment. If there is nothing much happening on the radio i go on the web or borrow a book and read about the latest dxpedition or how to build a log periodic or whatever i fancy. If you enjoy learning there is an endless amount out there to learn and its more accessible than ever.

On top of that the social side is incredible, I meet up with a group of now close friend of all different ages to discuss radio, that i formed a contest group with. Then there are the club nights and once a month or so i go out to dinner with a different visitor from a different part of the world. I've made good friends over a pint with hundreds of people from Japan, America, Italy, Belgium and so on. In october i'm off to HFC to catch up with old friends and take in some talks.

Out of thousands of QSO's I have never had anyone be rude or abusive, OK so occasionally you get the odd italian calling out of turn or tuning up over you but big deal, its a few seconds and i have time to spare. How about instead of whinging about amateur radio you make the effort to enjoy it?
Monsta
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Monsta »

Paul ...my Radio brother !
i have one thing to say ....you are in JERSEY!

so are presumably unaffected by local large populace "James Blunt's" on CB/2m/70cm

I love the DX stuff ... that's why i took my exams ....i love the local decent convos too ,,,,but those are getting thinner and thinner
they told me that ham radio would make me free ....and in a way it has.

Its been a funny year ..18 months ago i was a CB/FB and proud of it and didn't really want to be licensed
in a week or two i will be M0EDZ (i hope) ....but will i always just be CB-er with a badge ?
10/11: Anytone AT-5555, President Lincoln - Astatic Audio
HF: Kenwood TS2000 ,Kenwood G707, Heil Goldline,
phil7ldx
Regular
Regular

Post by phil7ldx »

Well just to respond to what circles I move in re Amateur radio…………for the last 13 years I was also off shore in GD land working pileups on CW . DX and the like however I no longer chase dx .2 “mtrs on GD is dead , the repeater is rarely used except by uk stations trying out there new 2 mtrs beams . very little local activity I was glad to get off to be honest . Before then I was an avid club person and also part of the Merseyside Special Events group we ran stations for a number of years during everything that happened through the 80s mostly ….Int Garden festival , Beatle city Museum , many others . many friends with Russian Hams and went to Russia a few times and Belarus. Had a great time especially with the KGB operators whom I was hosted by ( Belarus) sniffing out the pirates in unmarked vans . great stuff.

But alas all now gone and it holds no fun anymore as it has deteriorated I don’t get the “buzz” anymore it is only the cw operating from the occasional portable jaunt that keeps my interest .

I am a member of RAOTA, G-QRP, and a couple of Russian Clubs , I learned a little of the language as I had many visitors staying over the years . Last time I went over I was arrested for having a morse key and a set of headphones in my bag ( try and explain that to Bellorussian border guards .

Yes I have moved in some circles in the Hobby almost to complete stagnation in GD land . having said that the GD call was most sought after as it is the only prefix for a british isles station that is NOT part of the United Kingdom or indeed the European Union ...try and tell the Manx any different.
I am also a Freemason and have quite few ham brethren , I was out every night , meeting interesting people , eating and drinking and getting a beer belly, so no sitting at home with a bottle of Guinness listening to S20 . come full circle now , tons of gear , had a Collins line up in the past all gone now except for the 30L linear which I will send to Belarus for the Pirate hunters . circles are definitely moved in but not so much nowadays .
And managed to squeeze in 2 OU degrees in between all the fun
Maybe its all in the mind ! and amateur radio really is better than sex.
NoiseBoy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by NoiseBoy »

With all due respect Phil, I don't see how that is 'Amateur Radio's' Fault that you have moved places and do different things.

Monsta, I see your point but i don't use 2m out of choice, i did for a while during lifts to chat to France on FM and i tried a 2m SSB contest but we made something like 5 QSO's in 6 hours which was apparently not a bad score so won't be trying that again for a while. If the 2m repeaters are that bad try something else or organise a simplex sked with a few locals that aren't jammers. Or of course, come and visit Jersey.
phil7ldx
Regular
Regular

Post by phil7ldx »

No I quite agree its not amateur radios fault ... I was just trying to explain that the radio circles I moved in was just as exciting as the next person..however as exciting as my radio activities where they were still not sufficient enough in my present circumstances coupled with the current attitude of licensing for me to promote this hobby any further. Its a shame really but the musics stopped the band has gone home, and the cleaners are brushing up streamers ...unless I have a change of heart which of course is a possibility.

But I take your point and respect your opinion.

phil
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

phil7ldx wrote:Last time I went over I was arrested for having a morse key and a set of headphones in my bag ( try and explain that to Bellorussian border guards .
Nothing says, 'spy', like a morse key and headphones! :lol:
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Quote"Heard yesterday …M6xxx responding to a call on 145.500 “ you’re a bit scratchy into the box mate ….the personal here is dave ."

Send him for 50 lashings and send him for further training with the Alpha Tangos....." :lol: :lol:
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)