Baofeng BF-888s Review

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Steve152
Regular
Regular

Re: Baofeng BF-888s Review

Post by Steve152 »

Right did that uninstalled via the exclaimation mark right clicked the scan new hardware all fine till then :?
plugged radio in usb port bubble on task bar said (installing device drivers software) it runs for a little while
then says (driver software was not successfully installed) details tab still says prolific usb-to-serial comm port (comm13)
Im guessing the lead is ok and its a driver issue ?
Thanks again for your help bogget im fine with radios but computers {bnghd} :D
26 TM 152
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

OK read my last post i need the driver details.

Bogget
Amateur does not have a CH its pronounced "am-a-tore" NOT am-a-chure !
Steve152
Regular
Regular

Post by Steve152 »

Bogget wrote:OK read my last post i need the driver details.

Bogget
Hiya the drivers i have are
Prolific
26/07/2012
Steve
26 TM 152
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

Steve152
Regular
Regular

Post by Steve152 »

Thanks Bogget for your time and effort helping me outon this issue it is appericiated, ive tried all the variations on different computers. but still no luck still wont find the drivers i have e-mailed the seller to see if they can help maybe give me a link or send a disk.
If that dont work i will be giving it up as a bad job, hey ho its only 18 quid :roll:
26 TM 152
Sidewinder
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 108GS01

Post by Sidewinder »

So for PMR can you only have it set to the 8 frequencies with 2 sets of CTCSS codes, giving a total of 16 stored? Or can you manually access the other CTCSS codes while using the radio?

Hope that made sense. :)
GlasgowSnapper
Call Sign: 2M0FRA

Post by GlasgowSnapper »

Sidewinder wrote:So for PMR can you only have it set to the 8 frequencies with 2 sets of CTCSS codes, giving a total of 16 stored? Or can you manually access the other CTCSS codes while using the radio?

Hope that made sense. :)
Changing CTCSS/DCS requires you to use the programming software.

2 tones across 8 channels should be more than enough to find a "clear" channel for use. If you use DCS, you're even less likely to suffer interference, as not many of the cheaper radios support it.
2M0FRA
Bogget
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Bogget »

HEC it is a driver issue, its just a case of getting it installed i can connect remotley and do it for you but would have to wait till the weekend to do this so i have time, please try again look at the link i sent you and go through it again.

let me know if you need my help.

Bogget
friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by friendly1uk »

Mine came today. Volume control is very stiff for the first 90 degree's but I see there under £15 now so..

Got nowhere. Software link posted here and on there site both trip up avg. Avg has no ignore option, except ignore me trying to open it. Hmm. I might give up now you know. It seems real silly, but this could be eXtreme forsite. The word prolific means walk away, based on every experience I have had. Seriously... Looking back at my lifes failures... I see prolific drivers as my only computing thorn. I have even paid for them and used the years technical help. Just so I knew it's not me. I have a thread to come back to as my uv3r's no longer connect. Usual story, worked a couple of times then failed.

Bad day? no.. a poor software solution that irritates me.
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

you only have to uninstall the default drivers, then install working ones.
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by friendly1uk »

I have spent years coming back to this. If only it were that simple.

So far I have got to 'It's a virus' with this 888s job. Hopefully somebody thats installed it can comment.
friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by friendly1uk »

Is the prolific rubbish because it should be serial but it's going in a usb?
Everything I can get (in life) thats serial works. Serial leads switched to usb causes prolific failure. I have seen this many and every time. I see the lead has a lumpy end so is this the case. It's really a serial device pretending to be usb which is where the prolific problem arrises?

There is a serial lead on ebay for £4.50 and I keep an older serial equiped laptop for this very reason. (Oh yes... This is not new to me or the car ecu scene)

Another problem with the prolific stuff is windows checking software is up to date online. Windows may do this every time a usb device is connected. This is fine with legit bridge chips but the software recognises chinese copys of older designs and won't work with them. Thus it can install and work fine, but never again. Least so I read.

Really just want to know if this prolific stuff is a fix for using usb when it's really a serial device. I have to order a lead anyway, the uv3r one don't fit. It must be a uv3rPLUS to look the same

Edit: here's the link. uv3r and others listed, but not the 888 or any baofengs, Although it says uv3r in the title. Need someone a bit more firmiliar to look at it..
edit2: the link lol http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-004A-Prog-C ... 3376defc90
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

Its a USB to serial device. The only dodgy thing about it is that most are chinese copies of the official prolific ones, which is where the driver issue comes from. Once the older drivers are loaded on and the new ones uninstalled, it should work fine. I've never had any problem with mine.
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by friendly1uk »

Sweet, so I can scrap the whole lot and start again for £4.50 with no need for any prolific stuff at all. Just plug in and use, Like it should be?? :)

I'm waiting for them to get back to me about 888 compatibility. Pritty happy right now... Just getting this out of my life is a big issue for me. For years it has been the main thorn in my side. It's as annoying as a partner you want to give the push but can't. I don't even like talking about it. It comes as no surprise that others are as willing to just walk away.

Making serial stuff for usb connectivity wreaks of bad practice to me. I'm getting bothered just thinking....
GlasgowSnapper
Call Sign: 2M0FRA

Post by GlasgowSnapper »

The new Prolific drivers definitely don't like anything that they identify as a "pirate" copy of the chip and will refuse to work with them.

I got a cheap cable of fleabay and the latest drivers give the yellow triangle warning and won't work - the driver that came with the cable works fine.

Also, when you do get the BF-480 software working, be aware that the COM port setting sometimes sets itself back to the default value, of it's own accord. Also, you might have to try several times to get the software to read/write the radio - it always does in the end though.
2M0FRA