Baby alarms

Scanning radio frequencies for the East Midlands
richardlowis
New User
New User

Baby alarms

Post by richardlowis »

Baby alarms around top of the 49 mcs band, some left on all day, how far do these things transmit - pick up signals from more than the room they are placed in.
Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 »

I've seen them travel over a couple of miles before today! It's hard to believe this considering the very low power output but given height and a decent scanner these can propagate over a large area of town.

The main problem with baby alarms is that there are only a few channels that they operate on meaning that if you were to walk around with a scanner you will get interference from other beighbouring alarms. The same goes for the old type analogue cordless phones - they are also difficult to measure in terms of distance as one phone call often "keys" over the top of the other signal. Have a search for my article on monitoring cordless phones on this site, it will give you some further ideas for low power device monitoring.

Regards
Simon
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@transmission1
Andrew
Banned
Banned

Post by Andrew »

I may be wrong, not sure, but I've been told plug in the wall ones have a habit of using the mains as a transmitting system. I have read of a couple who plugged the receiving unit in their living room, then the transmitting one in the baby's room, then found out it wasn't their child who was on the other end!

They could hear friends along the street in their house talking! I don't know if it was down to the make and model they were using. It was a few years ago I read it in a paper.

The furthest I know I've heard is about 400 yards, as the house was at a bus stop, and I could hear the engine ticking over as it was parked.
Banned Account
richardlowis
New User
New User

Post by richardlowis »

Thanks for the info, I'm lucky only have one dominant signal and still working on possible location/distance, also strange that this signal if far better on a 40 metre end fed longwire (horizontal of course) than it is on the dedicated scanner ant.

Rich
Dragon Man
Call Sign: M6JDM

Post by Dragon Man »

LOL here is a tip dont buy a baby moni from germany!! thay use the PMR446 band and i picked them up all over when i used my 5 Km radios on channel 5 also ppl are using them radios as baby monis
hey and a bout using the mains as a ariel thay are doing that with the clock for your heating timer
i dono if we had a baby moni that went through the mains... when i broke (with my help) i had a look inside and the airelwas the earth pin so i dono if thay use the earth to transmot on but it i could pick the moni up in the shed right down the bottom when i pluged the reciver in, but when i used the hand held one one there was no signal also i think its funni that uf i used channel 3 i could here music thow i didnt know what it was on
fun tryin to find it on scanner thow, i had no luck
- John
jack_sparrow

Post by jack_sparrow »

what frequency are these on?
Dragon Man

Post by Dragon Man »

49Mhz.. but with them going swimming a few times (eg. knocked in the bath) it knocked some of the channels off frequancy, fun..
also i have found out that you can buy addapters that enable you to use your mains wiring as a computer network system.. i have no idea how that works... intresting thow and i wonder how far that would go... hmmm.. anyone got any info on that?
- John
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Be very wary of those 'home networking' thingies that work through the mains. A friend of mine has some neighbours who use them and the noise they make on parts of the SW band is chronic! :evil:
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Dragon Man

Post by Dragon Man »

ferite rings? mabe they can filter some of the cr@p out... Allso.. STAY AWAY FROM THOSE MINI FRIDGES!!
damn the noise they make on the CB bands are insane i was getting a good 20+dB of hash
- John
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I think those old 'through the mains' wireless intercoms used LW, about 150 KHz. Someone had one around here and it was good n' strong.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
nordhavn
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nordhavn »

When i lived in kent , i could pick up a couple of baby monitors from the house . I used to take my scanner with me on walks . Im one area i could clearly pick up 5-6 of them , but no houses for a couple of miles . So im not sure how that one worked .
cheers