Best antenna for down valleys or surrounded by hills.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Best antenna for down valleys or surrounded by hills.

Post by crusty »

Biggest antenna with highest gain and lowest take off angle. As PoisoN recommends, the vector 4000 is good.
SuperNasty

Post by SuperNasty »

Okay folks, thanks for all the suggestions :) , well the sensible ones anyway.
"Any Band, Any Mode, Any Time!"
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Post by steepeljack69 »

I live in a terrible location for tv,mobile phones and cb radio,we can’t get free view tv,we live in Yorkshire but get Newcastle tv news.i tried every vertical known t man!best was the Siri vector 4000,just too big for my area net the 827,at the moment I use a Imax2000 which really surprised me how well it works.To be honest I use my 3 ele beam most the time,especially now skip is in.av worked Australia and States nearly every day,even Japan and Indonesia for me this is really hard t do with all going against me
109 Jim
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 109 Jim »

i live at the bottom of a valley and for dx i use a 2 el yagi , it is hard going but i get my fair share of dx
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Different designs have different properties, so its really choosing the most appropriate. Raising antenna heigh increases distance to the horizon. Radiation angle changes where the main efficiency is pointing. If you are using ground wave, and not bouncing off the invisible stuff, then you wouldnt want a more horizontal antenna surrounded by mountains, and if you live on a hill, wasting effort into the sky when you want to talk to the next town would be wrong. Looking at terrain locally is always a good start. Those apps where you enter your position and the destination and it shows you obstacles in the way.
rpcomms

Post by rpcomms »

Had a similar issues in a location lived
Went with 65ft mast and 1/4 wave ground plane for higher angle taken off.
Sirio GPA-27/45

Isolated the antenna from mast with pvc sleeve.
Earthed the mast with earthing clamp ,short earthing wire to copper stake for electrical safety.

Used double shielded thick formula 1 moonraker coax.

A 1:1 balun at radio end.

Great for line of sight and dxing
Trick is mast height,5/8ths tend to have a very low angle fine on high spots,dxing,or on very high towers.

If it's line of sight cannot go wrong with a 1/4wave or 1/2wave ground plane antenna with a higher attack angle

Best of luck 😁

Rob.P