SoftRock RX Ensemble II SDR kit build

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

SoftRock RX Ensemble II SDR kit build

Post by crusty »

Decided to buy another Softrock SDR receiver kit for running remotely over LAN. Having built the V9 USB previously (http://www.transmission1.co.uk/forum/vi ... 33&t=10972) I thought it might be good to show some of the changes Tony (KB9YIG) has made to the latest version of the kit. Details of how to purchase Tony's kits and guidance notes can be found in the above thread link.

The kit arrives well packaged in 2 separate envelopes to keep postage costs down. One of the major changes to the new kit is the inclusion of PCB mounted right-angle jacks for all external connections, a welcome addition.
DSCF0692.jpg
Overall the main PCB is a little larger than the V9 with a bit more space between most components. The use of PCB mounted jacks for power, audio, USB, and antenna save a lot of messing about and should make case mounting of the finished unit much easier. The kit can be built for one of two coverage options.. HF (1.8 - 30MHz) or LF (180kHz - 3MHz). After initially intending to build this one for LF I decided against it and opted for HF. The pic below shows the board assembled up to the local oscillator and control stage.
DSCF0693.jpg
The new kit still uses the LP2992AIM5 3.3V regulator which is the most difficult surface mount component to solder due to its small size, good magnification and a fine iron tip is a must for anyone considering building one of these kits. Tony has also introduced LTV-817 Opto-Isolators to further isolate the USB connection from the receiver circuit.
DSCF0697.jpg
I'll keep the thread updated as the build progresses (providing I don't cook anything critical). ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
techiesteve
Regular
Regular

Re: SoftRock RX Ensemble II SDR kit build

Post by techiesteve »

These are interesting kits. I ordered the SoftRock RXTX Ensemble Transceiver Kit, the first package arrived earlier this week. Now waiting for the second package before making a start. How long was it between your two packages arriving?
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

Evening Steve. It took 10 days from ordering to delivery, both my packages arrived at the same time. There can however be short delays in getting the second package as Tony sometimes has to wait for new batches of the Si570 oscillator. Tony does his best to keep people updated on the SoftRock_40 yahoo group of when batches are dispatched. I suspect it won't be long Steve and the kits are well worth the wait.
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

Great kits.

Crusty is there any word on these being able to be controlled over the net. I am sure it's not hard. ;)
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

I believe Simons SDR-Radio (http://sdr-radio.com) can do this Fez, though I've not tried that element of it. His site/software lists on-line radios so I'm presuming it works (but does require Simon's software to access them, so not a web interface).
M0MTH
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M0MTH

Post by M0MTH »

WANT
JamesA
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JamesA »

Was looking at these again the other day, but decided to get a BITX20 v3 from http://www.bitx20.com/ with the aim of building it and then trying to convert it to a multi-band version. Sunil, who supplies the kits, has also got some nice PCB's for SDR's in his ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fusion-Radio-VU3SUA

Have fun with it Crusty, will look forward to seeing the pics :)
M6JCA -> 2E0JCA

Yaesu FT-897, FT-857D (In car), FT-817D & Wouxun KG-UVD1P
Full wave 40M wire loop for HF, Watson V2000 for 2, 70 & 6
HRD Logbook: http://www.hrdlog.net/ViewLogbook.aspx?user=2E0JCA
FruitLoop
Regular
Regular

Post by FruitLoop »

I have just ordered on of these and as and when I get it hope that these tutorials will aide me and hopefully those of you who have constructed one could give me tips nearer to the point as you seem a bunch of helpful/girls and lads

Many Thanks Mark
FruitLoop
Regular
Regular

Post by FruitLoop »

FruitLoop wrote:I have just ordered on of these and as and when I get it hope that these tutorials will aide me and hopefully those of you who have constructed one could give me tips nearer to the point as you seem a bunch of helpful/girls and lads

Many Thanks Mark
Your kit will be shipped in two padded envelopes with the first envelope to be mailed later today :)
FruitLoop
Regular
Regular

Post by FruitLoop »

Ah well still no first package, though I do have all the tools know to construct one so heres waiting on Mr Postie.
Napalm
Regular
Regular

Post by Napalm »

These will take a 10.7MHz IF with no fannying about, right?

I am still trying to decide if I need an SDR-IQ or just a softrock for my SDR based SATCOM system...
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

Napalm wrote:These will take a 10.7MHz IF
Yes.
Napalm wrote:with no fannying about, right?
Unlikely.

Have a read up, don't assume you can slap one on any old PC/soundcard and get top performance. For good results you need a decent audio interface (~£70), and audio isolation via transformers like the Triad Magnetics SP-70. OmniRig support if you want to use WinradHD as a panadaptor while monitoring IF.

A lot depends on your expectations and how far you go down this road. I use a cheap Audigy 2 ZS and get decent results at 96k, isolation transformers will be added to this kit though.