IC R5 or Yaesu 120D which is best

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
wlm-21
Regular
Regular

IC R5 or Yaesu 120D which is best

Post by wlm-21 »

In this price range, ie up to ?150 which is the better bet

I want to listen to:-

aircraft
coastguard
shipping (on the Tyne)
anything else interesting

I'm not really bothered about conventional radio, or even a TV sound track, but if it's there, all well and good

Maybe though another scanner without radio / tv and only the scanning function is a better bet

Any advice please !!!

thanks
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

A couple of years ago I replaced my old Realistic scanner with a new Yaesu 120D. It worked a treat, but it was plagued by cellphone breakthrough from the digital mast just down the road. In the 450MHz area (ie where I do most of my listening), it was unusable when the mast fired up. So I sent it back and got an ICr5 instead and now everything is fine.
I'm sure you can tell which one I recommend!
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

I have an Icom IC-R5 that has been discrete (a VERY compact radio!), reliable and a pleasure to use. Programming frequencies into memory can be a bit of hard work without the PC software and link cable, but I'm sure it's no different on the Yaesu 120D. I highly recommend the Icom IC-R5 for VHF/UHF listening.

Can't comment on the Yaesu 120D, as I've never used one.