Alinco DJ-X10 **NEED HELP**

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Andyfonics
Regular
Regular

Alinco DJ-X10 **NEED HELP**

Post by Andyfonics »

I Really need help with a DC Power Adapter and plugging it into my scanner DC socket.

I bought 2 Power supply's which are more or less the same, I can change the different Voltages 3, 4.5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12 Volts. I don't understand how many volts im supposed to put the power supply on. It dosen't really state clearly in the manual.

The power supply has 6 different size plugs and only 2 fit into the DC inlet on the scanner, I fit one of the plugs to the power adapter (negative ground) and plug it onto the scanner, try and switch the scanner on and nothing, I used the other plug and the same, nothing.

I can't seem to figure out how to get it working, I dont know weather the battery pack has to be connected to the scanner for it to work (I did have it connected, and I tried it without having it connected).
Anyone care to shed some light on this subject for me, its really bugging me because I cannot use the scanner for long periods without the battery going flat.

Thanks.
fez
Veteran
Veteran

RE: Alinco DJ-X10 **NEED HELP**

Post by fez »

I'd think it would run at about 12 volts, if that didnt work I am sure someone else will help you.
Andyfonics
Regular
Regular

Post by Andyfonics »

WOW, 12 volts? Would that not blow up my scanner, lol, seems alot thats all.

Cheers for the reply btw :D
wkdsmoking
Regular
Regular

Post by wkdsmoking »

not to sure,but watch you dont have to high voltage,it may damage the circutry.also make sure you have the correct polarity.Does your scanner run from AA batteries.if so how many.multiply the amount of batteries it uses by 1.5 and that will be the voltage to use.for example 4 AA bats=6volt,6AA bats=9volt.I damaged a sony profesional walkman once by using one of these variable voltage adapters.i accidently had it on 12v when it shouldof been 6v.My walkman never worked again.Agood tip if you are using a variable voltage adapter is to put super glue on the voltage and polarity setting to avoid any mistakes.
Andyfonics
Regular
Regular

Post by Andyfonics »

Yeah, it runs off a battery pack that contains 4 batteries, I've tried it on 6 volts but nothing happens, its really buggin me now :(
Polarity is correct :D
wkdsmoking
Regular
Regular

Post by wkdsmoking »

ok,just had a look at this link http://www.strongsignals.net/access/rev ... cv&num=008
it says safe to run from 8-15V DC.have you tried conecting the battery pack with rechargeables and see if it charges.sorry i cannot help you any further.mabye someone with the same scanner will post a solution for you.hope you get it sorted out.good luck
fez
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fez »

My yup mvt 7100 has 4 batteries and it is ment to be charged/run from 12 volts.
Andyfonics
Regular
Regular

Post by Andyfonics »

Im really scared to push the voltage up any higher than 6 volts, when I switch it from 4.5 volts to 6 volts the scanner makes a slight buzzing sound from the speaker. Do I risk it?
wkdsmoking
Regular
Regular

Post by wkdsmoking »

if it was me,i wouldnt risk it.I would rather buy the proper power adapter for it. i dont think it would cost al that much say around ?20mabye less.I would rather do that than risk a headache if it goes wrong.
Another search on the spec of your scanner i found this below

Power Supply Requirements: 4.8 ~ 13.8v DC
Current Consumption @ 13.8v DC: At normal AF output: 200mA, squelched: 140mA, squelched with battery saver ON: 30mA

possibly it might need more voltage and current flow to power it.check to see what your adapter amp suply is.I have a kenwood th/f7e it has a lithium battery 7.4v 1550Ah my power suply for it is 13.8v and suplys 0.65A But again if it was me i would go and get the correct power adapter.try waters and stantons,martyn lynch or ebay.