IC-R5 New buyer ... instructions

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
wlm-21
Regular
Regular

IC-R5 New buyer ... instructions

Post by wlm-21 »

Hello

I've finally ordered my scanner, an IC R5, which no doubt will arrive in a few days time.

In the meantime I downloaded the 80 page intruction manual

Now ! I'm not the most patient of folk, so is there a quick way of gettting my first plane signal ..before I have chance to read and study the manual.

i live near newcastle airport, so the popular frequencies are :-

Newcastle ATIS

Newcastle Radar

Newcastle Tower

Newcastle Approach

Many thanks !
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

OK _

1. Fit batteries!
2. Hold orange button until it fires up
3. If scanner is in memory mode (indicated by a three-digit number on the right of the display), press V/M button once to select VFO mode. If it's already in VFO mode, go to 4
4. Press 'band' button repeatedly until you see an airband frequency in the display.
5. Rotate the tuning knob to reach the req'd freq. If you need to go a long way, hold in the FUNC key (on the side) while you tune - this will make the tuning go in 1MHz steps.

Tips: I know it's hard, but don't rush! Also check that the tiny mode indicator at the top of the display reads 'AM' for airband. If it doesn't, repeatedly press the 'mode' button until it does.

Once you've mastered VFO tuning, you can have some real fun putting them into memories. A laugh a minute..... :D
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
mds

RE: IC-R5 New buyer ... instructions

Post by mds »

My new ic-r5 arrived last week to replace my rather old aor1000(15 years) and to be honest you do need to study the manual as this radio can be a little tricky to operate at first, it took me two days just to get a frequency into a memory channel,let alone a whole bank! but after a few late nights i have hopefully got to grips with it.
I chose the r5 after reading several reviews on the internet and i think you will find as i have it is a great radio which performs well.
Sorry i cant help you any further at this stage.
M3YGQ
YAESU FT-60 | YAESU VX-150 | YAESU FT-7800E | YAESU FT897D | ICOM IC E92D
UNIDEN UBC- 3500XLT YAESU FT-8900
ALAN HP450 PMR446
5thElement
Veteran
Veteran

RE: IC-R5 New buyer ... instructions

Post by 5thElement »

I had an ICR2 and it does take a bit of getting used to but it really is a great radio when you get the hang of it, really is impressive for the size of it.
2E0XGA
Greasemonkey
Regular
Regular

Post by Greasemonkey »

i have an icr2 & would really recommend the pc cable & software, makes frequencies so much easier to enter, also is brilliant for entering the high & low freq in the search banks.