The new CB

Licence free two-way radio services that now includes both FM and digital channels. Discuss models, modifications and other similar worldwide standards such as FRS and GMRS.
Robin1
Top Poster
Top Poster

The new CB

Post by Robin1 »

How can Pmr 446 be the new cb radio. It's a load of old rubbish.
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

RE: The new CB

Post by ryan_paul »

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one.
Dont be fooled by the cheapy ?15 ones. The specification is very good as a short range radio system and includes 8 NFM or AM channels with CTCSS and DCT codes and 16 digital channels with near infinite digital privacy voice or data codes.

No license requirements and a big improvement on SRBR that it replaces.
Having said all that PMR446 probably lends itself to commercial use more than personal use although I am bias in my approach.
cheers and 73

Paul
M3XPR.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

RE: The new CB

Post by Guzzy »

I think you will find that CB is the "New CB". ;-)

If we had 16 channel, 5W (10W? 20W? 50W? :? ) mobile/homebased PMR446 units with CTCSS & DCS and outside antennas, THEN PMR446 could be the new CB! :-)
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

I would like to see the results of using one of those Chinese imported handhelds running off a 70cm Colinear on the roof, and see how far it bounces out. I imagine range to be similar to that of the 70cm Ham Band running FM Simplex.

Personally, I think PMR 446 is great. It has severe power limitations compared to CB, BUT IT IS MEANT FOR SHORT RANGE COMMS ONLY do rememeber!

They can get pretty interesting when PMR446 radios get hit by Tropo. The range on mine is normally 2.7 miles (halfway back to home from work on mountain bike) it a normal built up town. During the summer, I inadvertently spoke to another user triple the distance. as if he was in the same street.

If you want longer range, use CB and stick your antenna as high as possible. OR, better still, get a Multimode rig with SSB, and work SSB (and watch your back and don't cause TVI) :wink:

For the more ethical people out there that want a clear conscience and the ability to sleep soundly at night, got for the Ham Radio exam and pass that.

Some people do BOTH 11m SSB and Ham (why not have you cake and eat it eh??) :wink:

There are plenty of options!!
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

A 5W (10W maybe?) UHF CB system would be the proper way to do things. Check out Australia and New Zealand for how it's supposed to be done.

There just doesn't appear to be the demand for it in this country at the moment (ever?) :-(
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ryan_paul »

OK I think I should clarify my comments to avoid confusion.

I do not think PMR446 is the new CB. CB is probably the new CB.

However I dont think PRM446 is a load of old rubbish. Quite the opposite.

Good thread though!
cheers and 73

Paul
M3XPR.
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Panteneman »

It's a pity that we didn't have the TX power privilages, and repeater outputs that the US have for GMRS/FRS, for PMR 446. I think that would rule, personally.

There needs to be more forward thinking types out there, to escape the shackles of mobile phone line rental costs and return back to CB, or apply pressure for higher powered PMR 446.

You would think that more and more people would get p1ss3d off with the constraints of mobile phones and use other communication alternatives, alas, they appear not :(
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
Robin1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Robin1 »

I am not saying that i hate pmr446 i think it is great for short distances. Use it for mountian biking .

But you can't use for a greater length.
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ryan_paul »

I hope that no one is saying you do.

But PMR446 is designed for short range use only 2 to 3 miles.
In my experience PMR446 has a similar range to GMRS handhelds with more RF power when not using a repeater.

Its worth noting that the power output is 0.5 watt ERP not 0.5 watt RF.
I have a couple of Philips PMR446s that I fitted a BNC and 70 cm antenna to.
The RF power out of the radio is 1 watt and ERP was 0.5 watt because that antenna was rubbish.
cheers and 73

Paul
M3XPR.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

So we are agreed then.

CB is the new old CB and PMR446 is the old new PMR446. :-)

Considering the technology available to manufacturers today, we are seeing a serious stagnation of free local radio communications. Apart from smaller internal circuit boards and an extra 40 channels, what's changed since 1981 in CB?

PMR446 is only just a bit better with CTCSS/DCS (wow! :roll: ). The digital revolution isn't exactly romping along is it? Last I heard, they pulled the legislation for Digital PMR446 as it run into a legal hurdle. So in a couple of years it will be about level with mobile phone technology from 2001.

I blame the mobile phone companies ... and the Illuminati. :twisted: