Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
securityguy
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G5VHF

Re: Ham Radio in the UK - all sorts of Government Changes

Post by securityguy »

You're not a superior operator because you like and or use CW.
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: TM205

Post by DX-Digger »

securityguy wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 12:49 You're not a superior operator because you like and or use CW.
Exactly youre only superior if you use FT8 :D :D :D :crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding of course, always willing to talk to anybody on CB or Ham Bands on any mode at any power level.
:thumbup:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
securityguy
Regular
Regular

Post by securityguy »

DX-Digger wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 16:23
securityguy wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 12:49 You're not a superior operator because you like and or use CW.
Exactly youre only superior if you use FT8 :D :D :D :crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding of course, always willing to talk to anybody on CB or Ham Bands on any mode at any power level.
:thumbup:
lol, I don't know why people get so worked up about how others enjoy the hobby. Despite the curmudgeonly old so and sos * that try to drag down amateur radio, I still love the hobby and am proud to be licensed.

* because they really are mostly elderly.

Every time I see it or hear it on air, I will challenge the snobbery every single time. It's what we all should be doing to hammer these miserable sods out of existence.
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

Transwarp wrote: 24 Jun 2023, 21:11
As for changing your call sign now and again I don't know what the benefit of doing that would be, seems pointless and unnecessary to me.
I have a tongue twister of a callsign, so I'm up for changing it. Mind you, I haven't used ham radio for a couple of decades, so maybe not.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

When i passed my test in 1980, it cut little slack with the old guys who hated what i was doing with the hobby,
Like sending video. Very unfriendly because it took up nearly all the 10mhz wide 430-440mhz. Now I'm one of the old people who get slagged off. The bad blood is nothing to do with radio, its just change. I read newcomer stuff and cringe, but have to accept every hobby changes. Read ANY hobby forum, this is normal. Fishing, model railways, scrabble even chess groups. Our ageist and changeist problems are not unique. Besides, i know I'm better than everyone younger that me. My free bus pass and age induced grumpiness prove it!
securityguy
Regular
Regular

Post by securityguy »

paulears wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 07:11 When i passed my test in 1980, it cut little slack with the old guys who hated what i was doing with the hobby,
Like sending video. Very unfriendly because it took up nearly all the 10mhz wide 430-440mhz. Now I'm one of the old people who get slagged off. The bad blood is nothing to do with radio, its just change. I read newcomer stuff and cringe, but have to accept every hobby changes. Read ANY hobby forum, this is normal. Fishing, model railways, scrabble even chess groups. Our ageist and changeist problems are not unique. Besides, i know I'm better than everyone younger that me. My free bus pass and age induced grumpiness prove it!
And yet there are some elderly operators who are charming, friendly and welcoming.
dc260
Regular
Regular

Post by dc260 »

The license should be made easier to obtain, this will attract newcomers to the hobby. The only pushback against the new changes have been from bitter old-timers who seem to want to keep amateur radio as an elite club rather than open to all.
The demographics of amateur radio in the UK are Shocking.
-
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

dc260 wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 13:50 The license should be made easier to obtain, this will attract newcomers to the hobby. The only pushback against the new changes have been from bitter old-timers who seem to want to keep amateur radio as an elite club rather than open to all.
Civil question, how easy would you like it?
dc260
Regular
Regular

Post by dc260 »

Whisky1 wrote: 03 May 2024, 07:33
dc260 wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 13:50 The license should be made easier to obtain, this will attract newcomers to the hobby. The only pushback against the new changes have been from bitter old-timers who seem to want to keep amateur radio as an elite club rather than open to all.

It should be akin to obtaining a UK General License, where you pay a fee and you receive a license alongside a small guide on how to minimize interference, no test at all.
The liability of potential interference should be put upon the license holder.
-
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

dc260 wrote: 03 May 2024, 15:04

It should be akin to obtaining a UK General License, where you pay a fee and you receive a license alongside a small guide on how to minimize interference, no test at all.
When I first passed my foundation licence I used to speak to a young lad on the local repeater, he was 10 years old. The rsgb site posted about an 8 year old girl passing her foundation licence recently. How easy does it need to be?

There needs to be an interest in it for anyone that wants to have a go at ham radio, CB got a lot of folks hooked on radios in the eighties and a corresponding jump in amateur licences was the result. We've got a couple of lads that do our lawn every few weeks and they've got the 446 walkie talkies but their main comms are their phones, radios are a novelty to them, kids toys, if ham radio 'did more' maybe there'd be more uptake. I know it can do a lot more than just talking to others but no one ever sees it doing anything else so it's perceived as boring to most people, something for the old folks to do.
The perfect face for radio.
Whisky1

Post by Whisky1 »

dc260 wrote: 03 May 2024, 15:04

Ok keep dreaming I guess :D