APRS on 2m FM - Still plenty of Rx Gateways?

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
Dubmatix2
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: 2E0VWB

APRS on 2m FM - Still plenty of Rx Gateways?

Post by Dubmatix2 »

Afternoon all
Just getting round to properly building my Tinytrak based APRS box for mobile vehicle use and perhaps for an excursion on a narrowboat in the autumn, i put it together as a test lash-up a few years ago but it stopped working so it was shelved.

But is the bulk of the infrastructure still in place for 2m APRS on 144.800 or have some of the APRS gateways been replaced by a DMR-based version?

I would hope that both would be run side by side but after looking at APRS.fi some of the local gateways have gone but there seems to be more digipeaters. That being said, I couldn't find the map key so maybe it's my misinterpretation of the map.

I did experiment with a Raspberry Pi based Rx only gateway for 2m APRS which i intend to set back up next with a better antenna position, but I need to finish rebooting the Tinytrak system first.

Also, are there any 6m band FM gateways in the UK?

Cheers

John - 2E0VWB
New member but not, just a returner, now with a 2 suffix!
Black_Pirate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM034

Re: APRS on 2m FM - Still plenty of Rx Gateways?

Post by Black_Pirate »

Still a busy map..
www.aprs.fi

plenty on including ships and weather...
I think WX baloons also..
get your tracker from their places ha ha..

I think theres a few on meshtastic on the 70cms freq..
but that seems a bit retro..
good luck.. 👍
looking for propagation for 2013 and beyond... Operating close to the Edge....
of reason......and the Quantocks...
Didi modes (JS8 on 27.245 usb) txt messages via radio lol at minus- 10 to 20 db..... 😊 See FB page...

26T.M.034
GOOD LUCK IN DX