Maxcom 30E auto squelch removal

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Maxcom 30E auto squelch removal

Post by Mudslinger »

I have here a nice conditioned Maxcom 30E that works very well.

At some stage someone has fitted what looks like an auto squelch module. It doesn't work very well, in fact like most auto squelches it is next to useless.

I am wondering how easy it would be to remove it so that I can chuck it into the bin. The wires for it haven't been done in the most tidy way either as the fitter has left them far too long...

Is it a case of simply disconnecting all of it and joining back up cut tracks, or will doing that cause futher problems? It is soldered to the back of the board and the squelch knob so that it activated when the squelch is fully anti clockwise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
bitbang
Regular
Regular

Re: Maxcom 30E auto squelch removal

Post by bitbang »

Off top of my head, can just cut the orange wire as this is what mutes the receive audio or just remove all the wires.
Worth to check first the original rig squelch has not been disabled as some installers used to do this when fitting the bury one.
Strange why someone would install the bury noise squelch in a maxcom rig as it already uses noise + level built in. I fitted a scan board into a maxcom 4E and it works a treat with the inbuilt squelch.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Re: Maxcom 30E auto squelch removal

Post by Mudslinger »

The original squelch works fine and the auto squelch comes on when the knob is turned fully anti clockwise.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.