Howdy from West Lothian

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
Spooky
Regular
Regular

Howdy from West Lothian

Post by Spooky »

New radio 'listener' at the moment, was into cb as a youngster.

I recently picked up a Uniden 125xlt and a President Randy 3, couldn't believe I could pick up Italian users on AM.
So I put up a Diamond D130 discone on a 3m pole on the shed and the cb came alive !
I bought a President George 2 and plan on selling the Randy 3, I realise the discone is not set up to transmit on the CB (11m?) band.
It works very well with the scanner but I needed a proper cb antenna so I got a Sirio Starduster M400 that will go up real soon.

Really enjoying listening to International traffic.
I plan on earthing the antenna and fitting a lightning arrestor, got a long copper pole arriving.

Quick question - the arrestor needs earthed to the copper pole, do I also have to run another earth from the antenna bracket mounts
to the copper pole ? or does the arrestor perform all the required earthing?

Quite interesting coming back to this years later !
All the best folks.
dipstickjealous
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: Hi

Re: Howdy from West Lothian

Post by dipstickjealous »

Hello,

Welcome back to the world of radio! It sounds like you've set up an impressive radio station with the Uniden 125xlt, President Randy 3, and the President George 2. The addition of the Diamond D130 discone and the upcoming Sirio Starduster M400 antenna promises even more exciting listening experiences.

Regarding your question about grounding, it's a good practice to ground both the antenna and the lightning arrestor. While the lightning arrestor does provide a level of protection, having a direct path to ground for both the antenna and the arrestor enhances safety and further minimizes the risk of damage from lightning strikes or static electricity.

Connect the grounding wire from the antenna bracket mounts to the copper pole, ensuring a solid and low-resistance connection. Similarly, connect the grounding wire from the lightning arrestor to the same copper pole. This way, you create a comprehensive grounding system that helps dissipate any electrical charges that may accumulate.

It's great to hear that you're diving back into the hobby and setting up a proper antenna system. Enjoy the international traffic and the fascinating world of radio communication!
Discover the latest in reliable communication devices with our Walkie Talkie selection, perfect for seamless and efficient connectivity on-the-go.
Spooky
Regular
Regular

Re: Howdy from West Lothian

Post by Spooky »

Thank you so much bud for helping me out.
Your advice on grounding is exactly the info I was looking for.

The more I read about radio, the more interested I become in it.
I ordered the ARRL 100th edition book as a Xmas present to myself.

Thanx.