The future of CB Radio

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: The future of CB Radio

Post by MrWeetabix »

paulears wrote: 17 Jun 2023, 05:54 The thing I’m constantly surprised by is that brand new CB products look exactly the same as those in the 70s? It’s like they are still using the same chassis and knobs. Is this a sort of cosmetic thing, or are these old looking ones, old technology inside too?
New tech inside, but trying to appeal to the retro CBer from back in the day. If you went with a radical re-design people would crap their trucker pants about it! lol
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Crusty Juggler
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TD133

Post by Crusty Juggler »

LondonCbRadio wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 10:56
What is your profile pic about ?
I wondered if anyone would pick up on that.

A while ago I got into the idea of base twelve or dozenal. I drew that on a rainy day when I couldn't get out grass cutting. The whole dozenal thing is interesting, but ultimately a rabbit hole to fall down and lose loads of time.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I dib in and out of this topic as I've been thinking for a while that as I sell marine, ham, business, aviation and PMR446 radios I should try selling CB, so I've been doing the rounds of my usual suppliers and I can't do it. There's no suppliers who will sell to me at the sort of price that would enable me to compete with existing dealers and Ebay.

The prices people are selling for are roughly what the quotes have been so far. For me, it means 20% VAT being added too, so if I sold on ebay for the same price as the people there, I would lose at least £40? And the prices are plain silly too.

I've scrapped the idea. I have no idea how they make money. Some are clearly actually based abroad, and they say shipping from UK warehouses, but that's a common trick to make people think they're UK based when they are not.

What I don't get is how they get away with the high prices?