Scanning radio frequencies for the North West
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: 430.86000

Post by paulears »

If you get FM broadcasts, it works. What it cannot do is show you signals it can't hear. Do look for common frequencies that are active in most places. have a look at 220-230MHz - can you see big spikes there? That's DAB radio. How about between 152 and 156? Any intermittent spikes there? Pagers.

Next try the ham bands - 145-146 and 433 to 435 - that's where repeaters are. if you live near the coast - 156.8 for coastguard and boats.

If these have signals on, then the thing is working but nobody is talking. Not a useless piece of junk, just you living in a quiet area, with probably a very average antenna
Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave9946 »

Thanks for the reply, just more frustrated at the lack of anything much yesterday than anything. Will still carrying on trying to get to grips with it as I guess I lot is down to understanding both the device & software which can take time.

Will do as suggested, but certainly getting peaks on random frequency searches. Of cause they could be anything, maybe not even audio at all. But just trying to find something that's not a broadcast radio station to listen to and I'll be happy with that lol.
Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave9946 »

Out of interest, should I not be able to listen to DAB if I'm finding the peaks for DAB stations of would I need additional software\plugins or such?. Currently playing with SDR++ & CubicSDR, but maybe there are other or better options out there?.

Also as live in Liverpool I have a rather busy port not to many miles from where I live, so I'd assume I should be picking something up there to.
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

Dave9946 wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 06:54 Out of interest, should I not be able to listen to DAB if I'm finding the peaks for DAB stations of would I need additional software\plugins or such?. Currently playing with SDR++ & CubicSDR, but maybe there are other or better options out there?.

Also as live in Liverpool I have a rather busy port not to many miles from where I live, so I'd assume I should be picking something up there to.
The Mersey in Liverpool can be quite busy, plus you have Runcorn and Ellesmere Port and the Manchester ship canal. I have a few for Liverpool city centre in general, but not a lot plus some are hard to identify with so many users on the same frequencies.
MH14
Regular
Regular

Post by MH14 »

Any receiver needs a good antenna.

Many 'SDL' type dongles come with a small antenna which is little to no good (but will receive things like strong FM broadcast signals).

If it's the kind of dongle with a SMA connector. Then it will work so much better (for PMR/Ham scanning) with a decent vhf/uhf antenna plugged into it.
Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave9946 »

Well this dongle did come with 3 different if small desktop antennas. Not expecting to pickup transmissions from 20,30,40 miles+ away as such with basic desktop antennas. But where I live (less than 2 miles from the Mersey & less than 3 miles from Liverpool docks in a straight line) I'm on a commercial street with numerous shops & businesses, less than 3 miles from the city centre with numerous businesses & universities get in the area. So it's not exactly unreasonable to be expecting to be picking something up on this dongle besides just FM radio station broadcasts even with these antennas is it?.

Though I do have doubts about the point of the 3 small desktop antennas and if they should work as was rather surprised by now small they have interpreted "desktop". That they were advertised as being suitable each for 3 separate purposes of reception band wise they should certainly work for something in a relatively busy area. If those mini desktop antennas are really that useless, then why are they even being offered as a package costing about £13 or 35% more than buying the dongle on its own and a better antenna separate?.

Sorry, but if the issue is the desktop antennas then it should be made clear on the very limited use and reception range of them as otherwise they are not fit for purpose as advertised if they just don't work unless you are just a few doors away from what your trying to pickup. Might contact Amazon if they are likely to be the problem as it's not on being charged extra for advertised as suitable desktop antennas that just don't work at all.

That aside, I do have this tornado antenna for the CB I got for the car. Assuming that might be usable unless it's overkill for a little usb dongle connected to a phone or pc, what type of adapter or connection might I need as that antennas mount lead simply screws into the back of the CB via a completely different connection than what is an SMA connection on the SDR dongle.

Otherwise if there a recommended suitable known working desktop antenna that will cover most reception requirements for me can anyone please let me know, thanks.
MH14
Regular
Regular

Post by MH14 »

There are lot’s of things which can effect radio waves. An antenna which may work to a degree in one location, may be poor in another. With internal antennas some buildings for example can create a ‘faraday’ cage effect. Especially when you get into the higher frequency ranges.

When it comes to broadband antennas, and, by that I mean an antenna that is (supposedly) designed to cover a huge frequency range. You are going to have huge compromise when it comes to small and/or indoor antennas.

An antenna’s length (and/or design) is what makes it resonant on any given frequency. In the case of something like an amateur radio VHF/UHF co-linear, you will usually get a good receive coverage across the vhf/uhf spectrum. Even outside of its transmit capabilities. Hence why they are often also a choice for scanner enthusiasts.

As for the Tornado antenna. You say its for CB. Which means its length and design will be for 11m (27mhz). You could use it on the dongle. CB antenna’s usually have a PL259 plug. Your dongle sounds like it is SMA. You can buy PL259 to SMA adapters. Although I would go for a PL259 to SMA ‘pigtail’ myself. Because it will reduce the physical stress that might occur on the dongle antenna socket.

However. Because the CB antenna will be resonant on 11m is not going to work very well on VHF/UHF. It may well be able to receive near field or strong signals from those higher frequencies, but it won’t get much from further away. Do remember that many transmissions that you seek, may well be coming from a source which is nothing more than a handheld (walkie talkie) with a rubber duck. Running a few watts at best. Their transit coverage will already have a small footprint, before you even think about your RX one. Even more so if they are inside a building or built up area and not out in the open.

In the radio world. Antenna is everything. You can go out and spend £10k on a receiver. But it will only perform as good as what you connect it to. Unfortunately the radio spectrum is massive. Which means that there is no one antenna which fits all. Least not without either substantial investment, or, substantial compromise. In my opinion most antennas supplied with SDR radio's are poor inefficient things. Usually over rated by miles.

If your looking to scan mostly around VHF/UHF. Some kind of amateur radio dual band antenna would make for a much better choice. External one if possible.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Have a look from 156 to 157 - you will find activity on 156.6, 156.7 and 156.8 - and Google a marine list and find out the other channels.
Your amazon complaint on fit for purpose is a bit daft, because you can buy a marine radio if you live in leicester, but you aren't going to hear ships. radio is a hobby that requires level of knowledge. You can buy scalpels but it doesn't prepare you for doing operations. If you live in a busy area, those little antennas are fine, if you don't then even outside antennas won't pick up stuff. It's a hobby, and needs plenty of time and patience. That's how it is with radio.
Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave9946 »

Yes, I get how all this hobby has a big learning curve but certainly intend to stick with it and see things through and solve the issues of picking this up. Getting a hand held scanner to do it all in 1 unit would be to easy despite that being what the missus wants me to get.

All said, I still like the idea of getting an SDR dongle instead of a propper scanner receiver and like the idea of learning something like this, even with coming by the antenna issues and learning from that and members off here to.
Dave9946
Regular
Regular

Post by Dave9946 »

Busy with work right now, but so far besides the FM radio stations I have only found 2 repeater stations on this dongle & no other transmission as on yet. Will keep trying & scanning and take it out & about when I get a break from work next week.
DuncanM

Post by DuncanM »

The input for GB3 CM uses the same frequencies and tone as GB3 PT. It uses Fusion and C4FM, you can often hear people from all over the UK on it.