40m / HF Pirates & Mic keyers and vagabond's

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Buick Mackane

40m / HF Pirates & Mic keyers and vagabond's

Post by Buick Mackane »

Amazed by the amount of pirate stations i hear on 40m keying down CW Keys to disrupt QSO'S, And shouting accusations / insults aimed at a certain M3 Station, Ofcourse in days of auld amateur gear was only sold to licensed amateurs, These days gear is cheaper and sold to anybody willing to buy it, I don't think these pirates are necessarily pirates, Could be disgruntled license holders or CB Users using modified ham gear, Don't think anybody is going to the expense of setting up an HF Station with the sole intent of being an A-Hole

Was watching UK CB Servicing on youtube recently and he said he was once interviewed under caution by ofcom, Amazed that ofcom still have an interest in CB Given it's mainly dead yet pirates abound on HF
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Re: 40m / HF Pirates & Mic keyers and vagabond's

Post by paulears »

One of the reasons it was maybe a bad move to make prices so cheap. When a radio cost you two months wages you had to be serious BEFORE you bought, now you can buy radios for the price of a Happy Meal, people buy them on a whim. I sell radios on ebay - and the leisure boat folk are pretty serious, but the hams buy crazy products with zero knowledge. I actually chatted to a guy on the phone and said "If you don't have a computer - please do NOT buy one of these radios. DMR needs a computer - I know it says programmable from the panel but you would die of old age doing it!" He STILL bought one, and phoned me every single day with questions. Really silly ones. Can I program it for him - I tried to explain that while I could, how would he keep adding the extra things he needed to do every so often? People buy radios, get fed up because theyve never listened and then they disrupt things simply because that is to them, more fun. If the HF radio had cost them three grand, maybe they'd have looked into it a bit more - now you can get an all band HF radio for a few hundred, it's fair game.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Where are these HF Rigs for the price of a happy meal ? I'll take a slice of that action :lol:

Get what your saying, Idiots with cash to burn, Who fancy trying out radio as a new hobby and quickly tire of it then think what can i do now ? Lets have a play with the CW Key and cause a bit of chaos
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Buick Mackane wrote: 10 Nov 2022, 16:50 Amazed by the amount of pirate stations i hear on 40m keying down CW Keys to disrupt QSO'S, And shouting accusations / insults aimed at a certain M3 Station, Ofcourse in days of auld amateur gear was only sold to licensed amateurs, These days gear is cheaper and sold to anybody willing to buy it, I don't think these pirates are necessarily pirates, Could be disgruntled license holders or CB Users using modified ham gear, Don't think anybody is going to the expense of setting up an HF Station with the sole intent of being an A-Hole

Was watching UK CB Servicing on youtube recently and he said he was once interviewed under caution by ofcom, Amazed that ofcom still have an interest in CB Given it's mainly dead yet pirates abound on HF
I used to hear quite a bit on 6.666 "USB" but haven't listened there for years. As you say, 40m amateur band is regularly full of "man made" Interference, but then again, these idiots (licensed or otherwise) will be just that regardless.
I had my station inspected in the early nineties by the then, Radio Agency. It came about after somebody reported me for supposedly running an illegal "religious" radio station. :lol: Needless to say, they were mistaken. It was quite an amusing visit. The engineer knew I was a licensed amateur, but had to be seen to be doing his job.
The only thing he asked me to do was demonstrate my equipment could not transmit out of band. Back then, my main HF station was a Kenwoid TS-850S/AT. Cost me a small fortune. I still own it to this day. Ironically, it does now TX out of band, due to extending the 40m band.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

It's got **** all to do with how cheap a set is. Most if not all pirates and people **** about turn out to be licenced people anyway. If anything, radios are too expensive. I was going to buy an FTDX10, then all of a sudden it goes up by £300? Forget it.
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
madsmells
Regular
Regular

Post by madsmells »

it inflation an brxit it now cost more as. only get icom people who bought ftdx10 thought 3d made more QSOs
some more mon than brain, that normal for radio. radio mean nothing antenna all, fool and money part fast first icom icom icom then yeasu
cuase bored of hobby really need new unneeding feture to use but nomore qso made after short ham radio boring
making the ham radio from bushes on side of M25 under my tarpulin
Ant
Call Sign: 26TM718

Post by Ant »

^^can someone translate that please?
Shack, noun, a small building, usually made of wood or metal, that has not been built well - Oxford Dictionary
A shack (or, less often, shanty) is a type of small, often primitive shelter or dwelling - Wikipedia

Licence - British spelling
License - American spelling
madsmells
Regular
Regular

Post by madsmells »

i just saidings brex destruct uk so every expensive. brain on radio not common. so mens buying first icoms, then becaues brain not good yaesu even though same. yaeso or icom does not makes more dxing.. brains makes more dxing. in brain is small so not much good there vote brex mean destruct for uk. anyway can now enjoy high price and cold that life you decided. plan was self but now pain.

no brains mean problem, some even still speak to russinas :o soon they gun you :crazy:
making the ham radio from bushes on side of M25 under my tarpulin