Scanning is dead, nothing to listen to, the end is nigh.....

General scanning discussion forum. Talk about anything to do with scanners, equipment, VHF/UHF reception and the art of catching those illusive signals!
Allan666
Call Sign: G0CRB

Re: Scanning is dead, nothing to listen to, the end is nigh.....

Post by Allan666 »

My first scanner was in 1980 area. It was an Bearcat that a mate got for me from the USA. It worked well, Next was a Jill SX2000 ( or very sim name ) Then around the late 80s I bought a Tandy Pro2004 that was fantastic I liked it that much I bought a Second one lol.I still have them but as I moved out into the country and things started going digital It was getting more difficult to hear anything of interest to me. I can hear Aircraft etc. I have been thinking of buying one of those £500 quid wystlers but I very concerned that I may not be able to tune and store stations due to it being very complicated. I still have my aerials mounted on 20 foot masts one each end of my roof. I also have Ham licence which I have held for over 40 years ,Last year I bought a TYT hand held and hot spot but i am having great problems trying to use it through my hot spot.
If the problen cant be sorted with a "LUMP-HAMMER" then its most likely to be an Electrical fault
beltane
Regular
Regular

Post by beltane »

All ham radio is dead or dying. I am fairly new to it all and only used analogue HT because I didn't feel like being a nerd and spending zillions of pounds on fancy equipment just to tether myself to a darkened room in a house with an obnoxious antenna outside. I literally only wanted to use it for out and about like camping etc. What a bloody mistake. Complete waste of time and effort. Most of the time there's absolutely not a peep anywhere, and even if you do make a contact they sneer at you down the radio for not being as nerdy as they are so it's not even worth trying. And as far as the repeaters go, all you ever hear is the same half dozen miserable old gits crowing about their damn vaccinations (idiots) and belittling anybody with a call sign dating post 1978. I'm so glad I never fell for the DMR expense. The analogue doorstops I already own are enough wasted money.
LondonCbRadio

Post by LondonCbRadio »

beltane wrote: 08 Nov 2022, 14:58 All ham radio is dead or dying. I am fairly new to it all and only used analogue HT because I didn't feel like being a nerd and spending zillions of pounds on fancy equipment just to tether myself to a darkened room in a house with an obnoxious antenna outside. I literally only wanted to use it for out and about like camping etc. What a bloody mistake. Complete waste of time and effort. Most of the time there's absolutely not a peep anywhere, and even if you do make a contact they sneer at you down the radio for not being as nerdy as they are so it's not even worth trying. And as far as the repeaters go, all you ever hear is the same half dozen miserable old gits crowing about their damn vaccinations (idiots) and belittling anybody with a call sign dating post 1978. I'm so glad I never fell for the DMR expense. The analogue doorstops I already own are enough wasted money.
Keep hold you your gear trust me you will need it with what is coming very soon.