getting back to cb radio

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
knowledge-gain
Regular
Regular

getting back to cb radio

Post by knowledge-gain »

hi all lovely wonderful folk

after many years of being deceived to believe one had to get a license for cb radios i never bothered to keep up

well i have been looking for options for a suitable radio for solo backpacking and hiking trips and found no suitable two way radios that do not need a licence or just the use of one radio

then i had a light-bulb moment to re-visit cb radios and discovered what i have been missing out on for many a year

i have looked on https://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-radio-user-map.html and found that the locations that i am likely to hike or backpack there are cb operators within range of a handheld radio

thereby i have just purchased [and waiting on delivery] of a working vintage Harvard WT 44 Cb Radio Handheld reasonably cheap from ebay therefore i am looking for tips on how to get the most out of it

can i get an external antenna with the same connection [it looks like a jack plug connector in the photographs to me yet i could be mistaken] or would i need an adaptor for an external antenna...?? [not sure if i could provide a link unless a moderator need to grant me permission]

what reputable bona-fide honest sources are available that you can recommend to debunk any misinformation...??

what is new to cb since the 1980's that would be beneficial for me to know...??

is the lingo still the same or has some or all changed in the UK...??

thank you in advance

bona-fide