Sirio 827 radial hub to bottom mounting pole gone loose advice needed. Please.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Sirio 827 radial hub to bottom mounting pole gone loose advice needed. Please.

Post by original45 »

Hopefully someone will understand what I mean, looks like the 827 has started to move about on its mounting base pole where it sits inside the racial hub for want of the correct name likely the revits have worn hole bigger on internal fitted pole ? I'm not sure but it's a little loose, not massively but loose all the same.

So is it as simple as drill out and replace or is it more complicated as I see some kind of nylon tube internally.
I'm thinking leave alone but needed to ask in any case.
Cheers all.
Lex_Michderxtx
Regular
Regular

Re: Sirio 827 radial hub to bottom mounting pole gone loose advice needed. Please.

Post by Lex_Michderxtx »

A picture says more than a thousand words.
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Sirio 827 radial hub to bottom mounting pole gone loose advice needed. Please.

Post by wa10 »

Easy enough to drill & put new rivets in, the tube is fiberglass with bungs at each end,

Its a good idea to fully service it, remove both hubs & clean everything up,
The top hubs can go open circuit between hub & radiator,

shot blasting leaves a grey none conductive surface as seen in these pics DON'T SHOT/SANDBLAST THE HUBS !!!
wire brushing them leaves a silvery conductive surface that you need,

https://app.photobucket.com/u/ukmudduck ... d871746b13
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Thank you wa10 just what I needed to know. Excellent thanks again atvb excellent images and explanation on the need to clean correctly.
Brill
Last edited by original45 on 06 Jun 2021, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Remember to use the next size up rivets now and try and get them fitting as tightly as possible before getting the rivet gun on them. If you've got a drill-bit set with increments between whole millimetres it'll help. Even 0.2mm can make all the difference between a nice, tight fit and an average, okay fit ;)
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Will do mate, unfortunately it had a little bit of a hard life and a amount of abuse but will do my best.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Not that I've actually used any yet, but I've bought a tray of about 200 assorted rivets from Aldi or Lidl for just a few quid...just in case...and a rivet gun with a few rivets of the popular sizes from the shop "Proper Job" for about £4. If you haven't got one, I'm sure a neighbour or someone on air would lend you one, save you forking out a few quid just for the sake of a couple of rivets.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Got a few sizes of rivets and a gun so hopefully all ok,neighbours arnt what they used to be either .they seem to have nothing and come to me so little chance of borrowing anything I'm afraid lol.