Anytone AT-5555 or AT-6666

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
whippy
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2wr069

Re: Anytone AT-5555 or AT-6666

Post by whippy »

lol no its not a 2950

its a 6900f150
Chris_M1BIK
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M1BIK

Post by Chris_M1BIK »

If you can respect what you're actually buying for the money (my AT6666 was got back when Anytone was barely known in the UK, a lot cheaper than the 5555 & 6666 sell for now), they're OK units.

If you way up the work it would take to take a really good (and there were a handful at best) multi mode CB with wide 11m coverage and mod it to switchable 10/11m (or, if you were lucky, 25-30mhz at a push) with a proper frequency control (switchable to full range VFO, or stock channelised mode operation) and still have a 2nd rate wannabe of a 10m mobile, then the AT's actually make sense.

I'm not even going to pretend that they'd be anything like say an FT-747GX with FM module used around 10/11m, receiver and TX purity wise, but it'd be unfair to expect the AT's to breathe that 'proper HF multi-mode' air and perform close to as well. But the AT 'exports' make a lot of sense vs a classic rig conversion and even has a proper squelch arrangement that works all modes properly rather than the classic 'CB' carrier squelch carried over to FM sets from AM origins.

If we talk of the AT-5555, since the higher TX output rating of the 6666 would be wasted for legal 11m use and certainly in the UK, then around £150-199 is a somewhat high price that I wouldn't pay (for 10m use, there are options), but if having a multi-segment (26-28 MHz hardly is really a multi band range) that's easy to switch between certified regions restricted use and can be switched back to export mode or specific 10m mode, for the ham who's inner ex-CBer never died or the CBer whose curious to hear beyond their garden wall, they both are OK ways of getting there.

My 6666 gets mostly used for nets on 10m, occasionally when I need to catch up with old friends who unearth CB kit for the annual catch ups, or as an extra monitor I can leave on 10m whilst using on of the array of proper HF sets during contests and events.

It has it's use, and at the price it used to be at, was an experimental purchase that would have been an OK driver for transverters had it not been a great mobile. Best case, it's cheap but not junk unlike some of the retro 'exports' out there that sell because they are classic 'CB' world legacies.

It really depends on your expectations, mine weren't high so it beat those, but if your looking at it being the 'CB' equivalent to an ICOM or Yaseu monoband 10m radio (some of those had extended TX/RX coverage), you'll be barking up the wrong tree.

Even the oldest ICOM/YASEU/Kenwood mono band 10m sets I've used beat the AT's receiver wise, but they were built to a much higher standard of expectations and performance to match.

If you keep your window of perception within reasonable expectations respecting they were a dual market compromise like most 'export' CBs where compromise being the cornerstone of all things from quality to performance, they'd either be budget heaven or budget hell.

Like I say, the 6666 wasn't a disaster in practice and better than many wasted hours gutting and reworking a classic CB to a decent spec for what would always be an expensive second-rate conversion.
Crackle
Regular
Regular

Post by Crackle »

The CRT 6900N v6 is the same radio as the Anytone AT5555 v6 and the Hanover BR9000 v3
Crackle
Regular
Regular

Post by Crackle »

Admiral wrote: 20 Sep 2015, 07:58 That's what warranty is for, but your screwdriver just voided yours.
Finals are not covered by any warranty.
The finals in my CRT 6900n have blown 5 times due to static build up on an associated antenna getting into the radio via the MFJ antenna matcher/switch box.
There is absolutely NO protection for stray static built into these radios, and I am not talking lightning strikes or any thing serious, but just static build up on an unearthed open wire.
These CB radios are basically toys, most of the established ham radios have protections on the antenna output to help stop minor static from causing problems.