23cm in danger !

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
WhiteNoisePoetry

23cm in danger !

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

Yep, the Germans want to take away the lot for all of us and give us a new band !

I waited 25 years just to get a bloody rig for it.

No doubt the RSGB will be as much as use a used tampon and just do whatever OFCOM says if CEPT says so.

http://southgatearc.org/news/2019/may/1 ... fm-cpg.htm

Bastards !

- WNP -
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Re: 23cm in danger !

Post by Auldgeek »

That's just one of a few options likely to be considered.
The Amateur Service has existed as a secondary service on quite a few bands for many years. I remember much the same discussion 20 years ago about the 70cm allocation and it's still the same today.

I doubt any move away from 1240-1300Mhz would be straight away, as there's an international allocation, not just European.

Until the results of the investigation around any potential interference with Galileo have been properly digested and proven, I'd say it will be in the melting pot for quite a few years to come and any move away would be gradual.

Keep enjoying the band in the meantime
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Keithb
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: G0RQQ

Post by Keithb »

I’m just wondering what’s going through the minds of the French to propose 144-146MHz to become aeronautical data primary allocation?

Oh wait - hams only need a small allocation for FT8 and repeaters are unused, so no problem there!
Werthers
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Werthers »

Keithb wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 14:35 I’m just wondering what’s going through the minds of the French to propose 144-146MHz to become aeronautical data primary allocation?

Oh wait - hams only need a small allocation for FT8 and repeaters are unused, so no problem there!
2 meters is very much alive in my area with lots of simplex users I'm very fond of 2 meters, not full of repeaters like 70cms the 2 meter repeater is hardly used but simplex is active during evenings and even sometimes during the day plus you have the ISS on 145.800 MHz which is always a buzz if you catch it during a flyover.

In regards to 23cm I don't care much for it but I'm always interested in seeing a 23cm rig.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

The proposed 2m reallocation for French aeronautical use has been withdrawn, so that band is safe for the foreseeable future.

However, looks more likely that at some point, 23cm allocation will require to be moved up the way to remove the possible interference to Galileo.
That would have potential complications for some of the existing services, especially any Satellites with a 23cm uplink, not to mention the equipment in use. Not sure how readily modifiable kit such as the new IC-9700 is.
It certainly won't happen overnight mind you.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
WhiteNoisePoetry

Post by WhiteNoisePoetry »

Auldgeek wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 18:26 However, looks more likely that at some point, 23cm allocation will require to be moved up
If I understand it correctly, it was proposed to swap the existing 23cms band for another band the
same width immediately above the current one.

Well if that's free, why didn't the just put the GPS up in the free bit in the first place ?

Besides, unless you're running a transverter and you're handy with home brewing up on 23cms,
then I image the other 99% of user have only commercial rigs, cost a lot of money and they probably
waited years to get one because of their rarity.

That 99% of users with unmodifiable rigs are gonna be pretty pissed off.

Even if they were compensated, you need equipment to replace what is now obsolete.

Where's that gonna come from ?

Me..? I'm not going anywhere.

I'll use my rig till it drops to pieces !

- Andy -