What is this signal?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
theEarwigger
Call Sign: M0RZF

What is this signal?

Post by theEarwigger »

Hiya folks,

I have a radio which scans thru 27MHz and stops on a weird signal. An SDR picture is attached. It sounds like mains hum on an FM radio and lasts for 10 seconds, but can sit there longer. It's not local, only comes in when there is some signal off the sky going on
Weird 27MHz.png
Does anyone else hear this?

73s, Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: What is this signal?

Post by grafter »

Some detail on frequency or ideally a video would be beneficial but given the waveform and the frequency you mentioned I would suggest an HF squiggle, the product of HF drying machines.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

Something like this? HF squiggles during Sporadic E.

https://vimeo.com/337231990
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
kop
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: AF7XT

Post by kop »

If it settled at or around 27.120 it's possibly an RF welder. The wave you show is familiar but rarely seen outside the near field of the machine. Cosmos/Kabar exhibit this drift to oscillator frequency but are usually very well shielded. If it is indeed 27.120 and you're seeing this via propagation, some critically inept installation and or operator is at fault. Normally I have to get within 20 ft of a 4CX15000H3 to see any field strength when in operation in one of these machines.
NOT WINDOWS COMPATIBLE