QRM from led street lighting issue.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

QRM from led street lighting issue.

Post by original45 »

I'd like you help please on a big problem .
qrm 6/7s point of noise when street led lighting is on .

Without doubt this is the reason and it just wipes any radio use out ,it's just impossible to hear anything but crap.

Has anyone had this problem and how can it be removed if at all.
Best advise and ideas please.

Thanks
Buick Mackane

Re: QRM from led street lighting issue.

Post by Buick Mackane »

If you don't have an amateur radio license then theres not much you can do about it other than a big dirty air rifle, If you do have an amateur radio license and the noise is also present on the amateur radio bands, Then you can report it to ofcom,

Looky here
https://www.ukqrm.org.uk/finding.php

Working any sort of radio station from home is getting tougher & tougher, Everything seems to produce noise these days, The biggest offenders are junk chinese electronics, Switch mode power supplies etc etc etc
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

You won't need to use Awfulcom if it's coming from street lighting. Assuming it's on what's known as an adopted street (not private), call the local Council and report it as faulty. If you know the column number (usually on the pole), include that info when reporting it.
Better still, ask to have one of the lighting Inspectors call you and you can discuss the matter further. They are usually quite helpful.

Best of luck. QRM is rapidly killing our hobby unfortunately but this sounds a fairly simple fix.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Buick Mackane wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 17:35 If you The biggest offenders are junk chinese electronics, Switch mode power supplies etc etc etc
Aye, you're the biggest offender. You buy so much Chinese junk from Long Dong's backstreet sweatshop sister "Minging Ling", they'll be introducing a new Mackane import tax as part of that fluckin Blexit! :lol:
Auldgeek - Drew

The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I fitted LED reversing lights instead of bulbs (they are a lot brighter to be honest), but the interference from them wipes out my wireless reversing camera. I'm not sure if they're interfering with the reversing sensors on the back bumper too as that started playing up last year too (might be a sensor gone though).

I think they're sometimes more hassle than they're worth.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

kilimax wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 19:01 You won't need to use Awfulcom if it's coming from street lighting. Assuming it's on what's known as an adopted street (not private), call the local Council and report it as faulty. If you know the column number (usually on the pole), include that info when reporting it.
Better still, ask to have one of the lighting Inspectors call you and you can discuss the matter further. They are usually quite helpful.

Best of luck. QRM is rapidly killing our hobby unfortunately but this sounds a fairly simple fix.
Here we go :yawn: Another auld G-call flexing his muscles, Contradict me again and you can kiss goodbye to the sporadic E season on 6m, I'll key you out big time, ya walopper that ya are :lol: :lol:

Good advice drew, Never knew that, Hopefully it will be as easy as you make it sound, But alas in my case i'm stuck with it, New heating system that the council installed a few years ago causes nothing but grief radiowise, I never got it installed as i couldn't be assed with them wrecking my house for a week whilst they were installing it, But both neighbours either side have it,

Its called air to water heating, Big fans mounted outside the houses, As well as causing air bourne QRM it also dirties the mains supply, But a few chokes have cleared up that side of it,

You'd think these things would be EMC Checked before being pressed into service, If it was causing problems with TV Reception or commercial radio they'd have them out quicker than a priest from a brothel raid,

kilimax wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 19:19
Aye, you're the biggest offender. You buy so much Chinese junk from Long Dong's backstreet sweatshop sister "Minging Ling", they'll be introducing a new Mackane import tax as part of that fluckin Blexit! :lol:
Iv'e heard you like a wee bit of long dong yourself :lol: Aye and theres more oriental chepo delights arriving this week, I think i'm turning japanese, I really think so :mrgreen:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

:cry:
Buick Mackane wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 19:53

Here we go :yawn: Another auld G-call flexing his muscles, Contradict me again and you can kiss goodbye to the sporadic E season on 6m, I'll key you out big time, ya walopper that ya are :lol: :lol:
Aye, here we go. Jealousy gets you nowhere ya 3rd rate oriental sh1te worshiper! :lol:
Good advice drew, Never knew that, Hopefully it will be as easy as you make it sound,
If it's a Council maintained lighting column, it should be relatively straightforward.

kilimax wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 19:19

Iv'e heard you like a wee bit of long dong yourself :lol: Aye and theres more oriental chepo delights arriving this week, I think i'm turning japanese, I really think so :mrgreen:
No chance. I leave that kind of entertainment to Minging Lings next door neigbour, Larry Long Love. :lol:
Auldgeek - Drew

original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Thank you for the advices and direction to try. Be very sad if the hobby for many dies due to these type of interferences .

Thank you again
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

It's a shame you can't simply hook up a decent amplifier and blow things up or interfere with them like you seemed to be able to do in the old days.
Tv's completely wiped out, petrol pumps slowed down, radio controlled aircraft downed etc etc.

Sticking 100watts through your radio and blowing all those LEDs to kingdom come would be a nice little outcome ;)
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

^^ 100w is far too low to cause damage.......the street lights still work at my 20 ;)
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

108EH002 wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 18:51 ^^ 100w is far too low to cause damage.......the street lights still work at my 20 ;)

Sorry, missed out another zero ;)

Using that through a big Moonraker directional beam and pointing it right at the offending lamp might be worth a try.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Airgun is way better.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

original45 wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 10:01 Thank you for the advices and direction to try. Be very sad if the hobby for many dies due to these type of interferences .

Thank you again
I get hammered with man made noise from neighbour's security lights.............at least its getting lighter at nights,so I can hear more the lighter it gets ;)
Last edited by 108EH002 on 20 Mar 2019, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Yes I am too.very annoying as I made contact tonight on I think a Leicester ssb 27,2550 net but had to clear due to noise.
My neighbour has led security lights as I do but I turn mine off .
I may just blow theirs off .
Spoiling our fun.

I can see it killing the hobby unless you go portable .
Sad days
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

My parents old heating thermostat/timer used to wipe my radios out, which was a real mystery to us. "Static" would build up every 10 minutes or so and oclvertake everything but the strongest 30+ signals. Then it would suddenly disappear...until a little while later. I used to have to ask people to hang on for 30 seconds until it passed.

About 3 years down the line, the heating went kaput, the then faulty thermostat was changed and Voila! peace on the channels at last. If only I'd known back then it was so easy to remedy.