SS360FM Intermittent bleep

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

SS360FM Intermittent bleep

Post by NightProwler »

Heres another noodle scratcher for you all. Superstar 360FM that I have owned for years, It has a small toggle switch on the back for the bleep but the bleep has now become intermittent :o Sometimes it works and sometimes it dont, I changed the toggle switch and checked the wires and all is good. Im not really bothered as I dont really use the bleep but was interested to know why it's doing this. I have owned loads of 148's and 360FM's and have never seen one do this before.

Cheers dudes...Rich :thumbup:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: SS360FM Intermittent bleep

Post by sickboy »

Ah right. It's not very often I can give advice on technical problems but I do know the answer to this one.
Basically you've got to rejuvenate the protons in the beep oscillator. To do this all you need to do is tune to 27.78125 on FM, put an elastic band around the mic and then play the entire Bee Gees back catalogue. That'll sort it out.
You're welcome :thumbup:
Embrace your inner muppet !
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

sickboy wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 21:33 play the entire Bee Gees back catalogue. That'll sort it out.
I do that everyday anyway :thumbup:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Stevie has it wrong, It should be KC (Shift) and the sunshine band
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

NightProwler wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 21:06 Heres another noodle scratcher for you all. Superstar 360FM that I have owned for years, It has a small toggle switch on the back for the bleep but the bleep has now become intermittent :o Sometimes it works and sometimes it dont, I changed the toggle switch and checked the wires and all is good. Im not really bothered as I dont really use the bleep but was interested to know why it's doing this. I have owned loads of 148's and 360FM's and have never seen one do this before.

Cheers dudes...Rich :thumbup:
Going to be tough to pin point without doing some real fault finding . You'll need to go through the beep circuit . Is it a mark II ? If so then I'd put the switch in the "ON" position and then start tracing the +8V that goes to the B/PEEP section of the pcb . This is an orange wire which normally comes off the 8V line . This wire might have been removed on yours , and substituted with another one going to your switch . That's where I'd start anyway . Might also be a duff component , or bad solder joint somewhere .

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

NightProwler wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 21:53
sickboy wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 21:33 play the entire Bee Gees back catalogue. That'll sort it out.
I do that everyday anyway :thumbup:
You have the entire Bee Gee' s back catalogue!

Seriously though, check the electrolytic cap which controls the bleep. Old age and an overdose of Night Fever might have degraded it. Also check for dry joints around the bleep area and where the orange wire feeds into the PCB (It's labelled "peep").
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
13EL121
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 13DA121

Post by 13EL121 »

It is a 2.2uf cap near the mic socket which controls beep length. If it is one of the grey YEC caps, swap it out. If the cap looses capacity, the beep will fail.
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran

Post by NightProwler »

Cheers everyone :thumbup: It's a MK2 010AB board. I have checked the wiring and switch but not that 2.2uf cap so when I can be bothered I'll change it. It came back last night but has gone again now :D

Im off to listen to the Cucumber Castle album by the Bee Gees backwards now :crazy:
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

NightProwler wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 21:25 Cheers everyone :thumbup: It's a MK2 010AB board. I have checked the wiring and switch but not that 2.2uf cap so when I can be bothered I'll change it. It came back last night but has gone again now :D

Im off to listen to the Cucumber Castle album by the Bee Gees backwards now :crazy:
He's listening to the demonic ramblings recorded backwards onto many a Bee Gee's record.

Ozzy has nothing on those guys.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...