A guide to CB radio with Dave Lee Travis

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
AxleJack
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: VK2AXL

A guide to CB radio with Dave Lee Travis

Post by AxleJack »

Here is a piece of CB history. At a recent spring clean (its spring where I am) I decided to get rid of all my audio cassettes. After all I switched to CDs 15+ years ago! But before I gave them away I had a look through them, and found this. A guide to CB radio, from 1981. Published by Radiomobile it was sold, or given away with new rigs in 1981/82. It looks to be an introduction to CB for those buying brand new legal CB radios who had never gained experience on AM.
To be honest, its not the best instructional tape I've ever heard. And 37 years on its cringeworthy. But..... for CB historians like myself it's a nice, if somewhat kitsch snapshot back into CB history.

Side 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSGlKjr ... e=youtu.be
Side 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMtA4eobC7M
Cheers from Jack.
Active in Lockerbie and Dumfries 1981 to 2000. Now in Australia.
43TM006, 43CT006
astradyne

Re: A guide to CB radio with Dave Lee Travis

Post by astradyne »

Excellent! Thanks.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I had one of those, but sold it when he was outed as a sex pest a few years back. Royal Mail promptly lost it in the system (posted tracked) and I had to refund the buyer. It's probably stuck under one of their conveyors belts somewhere in Bristol.
AxleJack
Regular
Regular

Post by AxleJack »

I would never defend a "sex pest". But I think we should clarify what actually happened to DLT.
Operation Yewtree was in full swing convicting people and they went for DLT. They tried 15 times to get a charge to stick and he was innocent every time. On the 16th time they got him. He was convicted of fondling an adults breast. Yes it was the wrong thing to do, I DO NOT condone his actions, but he is no Jimmy Saville.

The following was snipped from wikipedia-
Rosie Millard criticized the operation after Dave Lee Travis was convicted on one count of indecent assault for groping a woman's breast for 15 seconds in 1995, saying: "one has to ask whether the Operation Yewtree fervour, fuelled no doubt by the frustration that one of Britain’s sickest and most evil perverts died before he could come to justice, has simply gone a bit crazy. If we started jailing every man who has ever squeezed a breast, there would be no time for any other sort of case in our courts, and our prisons would be the size of a small city."Carole Malone claimed the case against Travis was a "witch-hunt", adding "if police spent more of their limited time and resources hunting dangerous sex criminals – and less on celebrity gropers – the world would be a safer place."

For further information Read Paul Gambaccinis book, My life under the yewtree. What they did to him was completely unnecessary. And he was 100% innocent.
Cheers from Jack.
43TM006, 43CT006
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

And that 16th charge took two attempts for which he got a 3 month suspended sentence, the entire process smacked of desperation. He maybe old skool tactile (which seemed to be the norm and readily accepted if you watch old TOTP episodes) but I doubt he's any more a 'sex pest' than many of the old blokes hanging around this forum.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I'm quite astonished in the fact he groped them for 15 seconds and wasn't stopped. If I tried to grope my missus for even a second I'd have no nuts left ;)
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

The Media do love to fuel a good witch hunt though. I mean, why let facts get in the way of a good story?

Anywho, I am sure that the Guide to CB, whilst cringe worthy now, serves as a snapshot of the era and the hobby it produced.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Love all this old stuff. Thanks for sharing 👍
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Fireproof
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM165

Post by Fireproof »

Very Cool
SS3900
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

The Collector wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 15:06 If I tried to grope my missus for even a second I'd have no nuts left ;)
:lol: :lol:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

AxleJack
Regular
Regular

Post by AxleJack »

Nice one. Well spotted.
No date on it but the radio on the front looks to have had the CB 27/81 roundel added with the 80s equivalent of Photoshop, which was likely scissors and glue. So it was prepared pre-Nov 81 for sale after legalisation.
Cheers from Jack.
43TM006, 43CT006
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I love those old brochures, as well as reading the old ad's in the early 80's CB magazines. Seeing the prototype radios advertised or being tested by the mag's, then seeing them change the design slightly (or completely, or changing their minds and not selling them at all) before going on sale to the general public.
AxleJack
Regular
Regular

Post by AxleJack »

I like that period too. Mid 1981 when the pictures of the new UKFM rigs were filtering through to the magazines and they were rigs from mainland europe with stickers over the German/whatever names and UK suppliers names on them.
At the time I was in a state of anguish over it all as we wanted AM legalised and were furious at the government for this FM nonsense. Breaker on the Side was my favourite magazine as it was fanatically pro-AM. But once FM arrived I was immediately an AM traitor and Breaker became my favourite mag.
I still have a pile of old UK magazines. I have Breaker no1. I flick through them now and again and imagine how youth felt.
Cheers from Jack.
43TM006, 43CT006
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I think I've got one Breaker magazine, think it's got a young lady draped across or posing at the side of a Kenilworth or similar.

I was never into AM, but borrowed a cousin's Cobra 19x for a few days. There were quite a few people on I could talk to, even just using his DV27 mounted on a biscuit tin.
When I said I wanted a radio myself, my parents said okay, but it'd have to be a legal one.