Improving the Antron 99?

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 45

Re: Improving the Antron 99?

Post by original45 »

I am looking at possibilities to get antenna location changed to allow for possible radial.
I will look at the siggy 4copy too.
Back in the day a friend used these and it truly was fantastic apart from the gamma I recall suffering from coming adrift or loose ?.

The old faithful Antron looks better than ever with some 3 coats of fibreglass resin sanded between coats then baked hard via the fantastic sunshine we recently have here.
As the resin has no uv resistance I purchased a uv resistant yacht varnish of which another 3 layers will help protect it.

Paid particular attention to the adhesive that hold the glass poles in to the end fittings with the resin to add durability .

It will go back up for a while but I will continue to push on for the upgrade.

Still considering insulating the antron from the mounting pole and maybe a few radial wires at a angle dropped from the base and maybe do away with the air choke . But again I welcome your collective knowledge on what's best. However I don't cause tvi either yet.
Thank you again .
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I should think that with all that varnish, yous will be the last surviving A99 and will take centre stage in the main hall of the CB museum!

Maybe they'll drill through the resign and extract the essence of an A99 and create A99 world as a Theme Park :-D
Amber_cane.jpg
Good work matie... nothing wrong with some good craftsmanship :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Lol, well I'm hoping it shouldn't effect the antennas working as it has no metallic in the coatings.
Seems to me like with everything else those glass fibre antennas lack a proper protection from de lamination and uv.

I may treat it to a few coats of heavy Sun tan lotion too ,wonder how that would work. If you have ever got it on auto paint finish you will know how hard it is to remove even years latter..

I wonder if theirs anything that can be put on alloy antennas to save them oxydysing too..

Probably snap when I get my mate to 're install it .
I could just bury it in a time capsule lol.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Lets be honest, they all end up in the same place eventually....
images (1).jpg
Hopefully yours gives many more years of service before it spends the eternal after-dx with its brethren... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

You can buy an anti-corrosion grease, I believe from the US. Not sure on price though. I think it was for use on boats etc originally.

It may however gather a fine layer of dust if it remains tacky.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

BTW, the aerial I was thinking of was the Vortex Q82 Mk2...looks rather like a Sigma 4 and should be pretty well built.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Will look at the grease and vortex antenna.
I have used protective grease sprays on motorbike parts that are prone to rust if ridden in wet weather and that worked .
I've used hairspray too but isn't very lasting.

Out with the autosol and cloth it is then.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The Vortex antennas are very well made, but they are also seriously expensive.

You could get through 3 Sirio 827's for the same price, and overall performance is unlikely to be much different.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

I guess simon that is a big part of it the cost. If I were a regular radio user and twas my main hobby I could consider spending more maybe but its not.

You raise a good point too in that despite its well or even better made doesn't neceserrally mean it will perform any better.

Would be fantastic to try all these antennas in a real world no bs test.
Same feed radio and position.

I'd still love to try the sirio gpe 27 5/8 against the eurocom hygain silver rod type too.
And then replace or lengthen the radials.

I have no doubt the sirio will perform better as is but with longer radials ? .
I'm still not Keen on the amount of joints between the plastic and alloy on the gpe either and unsure if in sunlight the coil housing will condensate up too .

I think the more I look though the gpe is the value for money better material antenna.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

If you put longer radials, you have to shorten radiating element, that gonna change elevation for worst in most cases.
5/8 antennas does not need long radials, because maximum current is located higher than radials are mounted.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
original45
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by original45 »

Thank you Chris, so what's your best suggestions for a vertical antenna 5/8 preferably that will improve over the antron on rx tx signal .
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

I quote myself:
ch25 wrote: 09 May 2018, 21:12 Decent aluminium antenna have radiating element close to 5/8 length and it is electrically extended to 3/4. It gives best elevation.
Sirio 2008 or 2016 for example.
Sirio 827 is worth considering too.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

827 will make a BIG difference to an A-99,look for a localish secondhand 827 on the tree of gum/put a wanted ad on.The A-99 will do the now ;)
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
108EH002
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 108EH002 »

MrWeetabix wrote: 21 May 2018, 16:48 Lets be honest, they all end up in the same place eventually....
images (1).jpg
Hopefully yours gives many more years of service before it spends the eternal after-dx with its brethren... :lol:
My mate rescued a bunch of perfectly good working 80's mobile twigs,at the local recycling plant he worked at 4/5 year ago,as they were all going to landfill......some lived to tx/rx another day/cycle :lol:
Plenty are talking worldwide on 27.555 usb,
Some are too far up their own @rse to admit it,
Many happen to know otherwise dx-ing test free,
Showing a complete lack of respect for the law.

27.555 Usb
ClubbaUK
Regular
Regular

Post by ClubbaUK »

I use a Sirio 827 about 4mtrs off the ground, works a treat and makes an A99 look like a wet piece of string performance wise.
It's also a great vertical antenna for tuning on Amateur bands from 10m - 20m