AT-6666 programming lead pinouts?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
AxleJack
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: VK2AXL

AT-6666 programming lead pinouts?

Post by AxleJack »

Hi folks
I need a programming lead for my Anytone AT-6666. I have heard a rumour that although this lead is not a USB to mini-USB as it appears, it is possible to make a programming lead from a USB to mini-USB by cutting it in half and rejoining the cores in the correct order.
Can anyone confirm this and give me the connections?
Thanks
Jack
theEarwigger
Call Sign: M0RZF

Re: AT-6666 programming lead pinouts?

Post by theEarwigger »

Hi Jack,

That's not right, unless they changed the design of the '6666. You need a USB-serial adaptor and a mini-USB lead. USB-serial can be bought from eBay (China) for about £2. Then get an old mini-USB lead and cut off one end, leaving the mini-USB bit the length you want.

The connections are more difficult. I sold my AT6666 and the lead a few months ago, and didn't keep a record of the connections. But with a mutimeter you can work it out. From what I remember there is only the serial data and ground used. With the meter you can check out where the ground is. The serial data pin may well be in the meg ohm range, but the other 2 pins will be open.

Worth plugging in a mini-USB cable and checking through the pins with an ohm meter (radio off obviously)?
It may be easier to just buy the programming cable from somewhere like Knight's CB if you are not experienced in electronics...
AxleJack
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: VK2AXL

Post by AxleJack »

Thanks. But of further consideration, I have ordered the ready made lead.
I had been lead to believe it was easier than that, but for the cost I think a proper one is worth it.
Cornelius
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

My CRE 8900 also have a mini-usb plug on the radio, but the cable are actually an usb-to-serial adapter...

I'm guessing it's the same for the AT-6666. :)
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
santy
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: LW6DZO

Post by santy »

Hi for everybody. I´m Santiago From Argentina. Does sameone tested te USB-Serial cable to program an Anytone 6666? Thenks a lot!
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

It should work, but I haven't tried it. If you want to make your own I will test it on the 9900.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1