Petrusse Excalibur 2002 (PTBM131A4X) - TX freq off approx 1.7kHz in all modes and all bands, RX seems ok

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
CrazyFin

Re: Petrusse Excalibur 2002 (PTBM131A4X) - TX freq off approx 1.7kHz in all modes and all bands, RX seems ok

Post by CrazyFin »

Ah! Maybe you do not have R13 at all then. We saw for example that the design in your Colt Excalibur SSB is slightly different even though we have the same boards PTBM131A4X. I remember earlier in this thread that you for example have R11 missing as well.

Could it be that someone before you has modified the fine tune and coarse tune in the Colt Excalibur SSB or is it by design?
Or has someone rebuilt yours from having fine tune in RX only and added same option as the Excalibur SSB has (the model without Colt in the name)?

I am somewhat confused since when I check other pictures of Colt Excalibur SSB if find models with the pull out/push in clarifier knob like you have and also models with only RX clarifier?!

Colt Excalibur SSB without the push and pull type clarifier:
Picture of Colt Excalibur SSB
On the picture you can see that the clarifier knob on the far right has no push-in/pull-out function marked RX and RX/TX and this is what confuses me since your Colt Excalibur SSB obviously has it! :?

Colt Excalibur SSB with the push and pull type clarifier:
Youtube video
and this video shows how the Colt Excalibur SSB has motherboard PTBM133A4X (while your photo shows PTBM131A4X which is the one I have also in my Petrusse Excalibur SSB)

Excalibur SSB:
Picture of Excalibur SSB https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ZOwAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg
Here you clearly see the clarifier knob marked RX and RX/TX.

Further searching in the web and especially on the RigPix.com page http://www.rigpix.com/cbfreeband/colt_excalibur.htm it looks like the Colt Excalibur SSB was made in 3-4 different channel variants where for example the model Colt Excalibur SSB 1200 would imply the 120 channel version. There was also a 160 ch version as well as a 200 channel version in this one had CW as well.

Do you have this one or do you have the one with 200 channels?

Such a mess knowing which is what.... :crazy:

(Ah, near Oulu! I have cousins in Kuusamo but it was probably 15-20 years ago since I last was visiting them... :oops: )
pienari
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 56la422

Re: Petrusse Excalibur 2002 (PTBM131A4X) - TX freq off approx 1.7kHz in all modes and all bands, RX seems ok

Post by pienari »

Yes i know at least 4 different model Colt Excalibur SSB.
I think that version with cw is not Cybernet board so it chould be fifth differnt. :think:

I own 200ch version and 40ch am/ssb version (ptbm058) without rx/tx clarifier.
This 131 board is not modified i can see it from solder points.

I have to measure a bit how this is made but its different.
Clarifier is +- 5khz rx rx/tx

My wife is from Kuusamo. ;)
Paljon pilalle tinailtuja koneita. ;)
Mobile. Ham concorde3, Megawatt 4000,Zetagi B550p.
Home. Colt Excalibur SSB , 2el Quad, Diy ldmos amp 1.6kw pep.
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Good evening

Why do not you show the photos of your TXs and PCBs
To hope for help

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
CrazyFin

Post by CrazyFin »

Yes, my board is PTBM131A4X:
Petrusse Excalibur 2002 - PTBM131A4X.jpg
I think @Pienari had a link in this post to his board which is also PTBM131A4X but for Colt Excalibur SSB (and Pienari has the 200ch version):
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=54813&start=30#p497662
Direct link to the picture: http://aijaa.com/kRvrHU

And as you can see in those pics, I do not have R175 on the board but Pienari has.
I have R11 and R13 (in the clarifier path) but he has not them installed.

Ah, I can now also see that I have vertically "HDK-T" to the right of the board name while Pienari has "HDK-G". Maybe different revisions of the boards?

His board also "looks" much older with many of the components seeing to be "ruggish" than they are on my board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pienari
Regular
Regular

Post by pienari »

Yes R175 is connected to clarifier pot in rx mode that resistor value effects to tx freq.

Knob pulled rx/tx its different and i have to measure more.
GT390
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 68TM027

Post by GT390 »

Hi Guys, I know this thread is a bit old but I was wondering if anyone happened to find the problem component or reason this rig was off frequency on TX, I have an excalibur with the 131 board with the exact same issue. So in this thread they came up with a work around by adding a trimmer pot but didnt actually find the fault, I was able to get this one on freq on all bands by setting the freq in TX instead or RX then using the RX clarifier to get the RX on ( 3 o`clock position across all bands) but I would really like to get it on freq with the RX clarifier centered
pienari
Regular
Regular

Post by pienari »

Hi.
Old thread but any progress??.
I have found Cybernet radios broken C3001 mixer IC.
Every time different issue but same fix.
I chanced TA7310p IC and issue fixed.

I hope this helps someone with strange behavior radio unit.