Sirio Gainmaster newbie

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
mickymcd

Sirio Gainmaster newbie

Post by mickymcd »

Just purchased a sirio gainmaster to try will be using it on 11m mid band also 10m-12m is there any adjustments/mods etc to do on it before it goes up ? also what height do they work good at many thanks
Ur5by9

Re: Sirio Gainmaster newbie

Post by Ur5by9 »

Simple to build and has some recommended measurements to set the fibre glass poles. It will tighten together with jubilee clips and Id recommend some amalgamating tape to seal the joints and keep the water out.
Its a very long antenna and unsupported so it will flap around a lot which is quite normal. No tuning required it is pre set and very broadbanded.

As with any antenna the higher the better but do bear in mind as the antenna is unsupported the higher you put it the more its going to flap around. I recently tried one of these antennas but took it back down due to just how much it would fold its self over in the wind, it would go from being a vertical to a horizontal dipole and scary to watch.

As for performance it worked fairly well, although some of the regulars I chat to which are a bit further away said I dropped a bit signal in comparison to my Sirio 827.
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

Good advice above, i will add mount on a long pole with some flex,i see people mount in on a 6ft pole on the side of the house and they snap in high winds because the SGM taking all the strain....
TheCaptain
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM669

Post by TheCaptain »

As above......seal the joints well and a good flexible aluminium pole.

Had mine up for years and years with no issues :thumbup:
"Wine for my men, we ride at dawn"
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

Mine's survived hellish batterings from the various storms that have hit the UK over the past few years. I bought it second hand, so didn't really know what it had had to handle previously. But it's stood up well to everything the weather's thrown at it, performs very well indeed, very low SWR, low noise floor and very good reports on DX.

I'd say a very good antenna.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

I had mine up for about 4 years with no problems in the wind and an excellent antenna. It's now sadly lying behind my greenhouse looking very sorry for itself.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
mickymcd

Post by mickymcd »

Early days but its got excellent ears low noise in fact keep checking to see if the things plugged in im hearing stations i couldnt hear before hopefully prop returns soon eh :)
Bigdave
Legend
Legend

Post by Bigdave »

Very good choice of antenna had mine up a good few years now,without any issues don't know if you went for 5/8th wave over the hw,heard of a few not to impressed with the hw,don't have the same bandwidth as the 5/8th...............................
26 TM 1248
WINNER of INB4TL, the big battle edition 16/07/23
OFTEN IMITATED,BUT NEVER INTIMIDATED.
WINNER of INB4TL,the no interest edition 18/03/24
robber57
Regular
Regular

Post by robber57 »

Consider using two hoseclamps per section...
Bigdave
Legend
Legend

Post by Bigdave »

Twice the chance of over tightening it and splitting it,had no problems with one per joint........................
26 TM 1248
WINNER of INB4TL, the big battle edition 16/07/23
OFTEN IMITATED,BUT NEVER INTIMIDATED.
WINNER of INB4TL,the no interest edition 18/03/24