Radioddity GD-77

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Radioddity GD-77

Post by listner132 »

I hav had one of these over a week now and still have problems programming this thing..also cant update the firmwware..
Stu G0RSP
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: G0RSP

Post by Stu G0RSP »

I have managed to program all of the info into the radio t dont get any any audio on DMR. can anyone help
DrumGeek
Regular
Regular

Post by DrumGeek »

I've just got one of these too and have answered my own question from 7th November.
If you set Double Wait mode to on, you see both VFOs at once, this can be any combination of VHF/UHF or VHF/VHF or UHF/UHF.
It will monitor both at once and switch to VFO B if the squelch opens if your arrow is on VFO A, then switch back when the squelch closes.
It doesn't however allow you to scan one VFO while listening on another (which is kinda what I wanted, but hey)
Single Wait mode appears to let you see both VFOs as above but if you're monitoring VFO A and something happens on VFO B, it will not switch over, but scan works on whichever your current VFO is.
Double Wait / Single Wait mode off just seems to make it like the MD380, one VFO only and scan works.

I'm still getting my head around the programming myself as its a bit different to the MD380, and yes, you do need to use Receive Group lists on this radio otherwise you wont hear anything.
Its upto you (and I'm trying to decide which is the best way myself) whether you have 1 channel per Talkgroup (same repeater freqs and colour code on each channel) and 1 talkgroup per RX Group list.
Or...
1 channel per repeater timeslot, then arrange talkgroups into RX groups based on what timeslot they're on, then assign relevant RX group to the channel / timeslot.

There may also be something else I'm missing as I've found a couple of DMR systems around me with DSD+ so I know the RX Freq, colour code and TG number which I've programmed in. I see the green LED on top of the radio light up indicating traffic but dont hear any audio....
Ah well, I'll keep plugging away!
Uniden UBCD3600XLT| Uniden UBC780 XLT | Commtel COM215 | Realistic Pro-35 | Realtek RTL820 SDR x4 | SDR Play RSP2 | PiAware/Flightaware ADS-B Receiver | Yaesu FT-891 | Yaesu FT-817ND | Wouxun KG-UV8D | Tytera MD-380 | Anytone AT-D868UV
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

DrumGeek wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 16:11 There may also be something else I'm missing as I've found a couple of DMR systems around me with DSD+ so I know the RX Freq, colour code and TG number which I've programmed in. I see the green LED on top of the radio light up indicating traffic but dont hear any audio....
Ah well, I'll keep plugging away!
The timeslot! Also if they're repeaters then make sure to set the TX frequency as something different to the RX frequency so that the radio realises it's a repeater and receives it. Otherwise if they're set the same, it thinks its a simplex channel and won't receive a repeater. At least that's how it is on the other DMR radios I've used, I assume the GD-77 should work the same.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
DrumGeek
Regular
Regular

Post by DrumGeek »

@radiosification Thankyou.
I realised I'd missed the timeslot after I posted that DOH!
Anyway, I reprogrammed two channels for each freq I've found, one for each timeslot last night.
I have the TX freq as the 2m calling freq (which I'm licensed to use) as they are VHF freqs I'm working with.
I've turned on Monitor / Promiscuous mode and still only getting the green LED on the top with no audio, so maybe its just data channels I'm finding, not sure...
I plan to do some more reconnaissance with DSD+ in the coming weeks.

I have a question re Monitor mode on this radio;
On one of these freqs DSD+ showed me that TG30 was in use so I have that in as a Contact and have it assigned on the channel(s) too.
However, when using Monitor mode, do you still need to have a Contact defined on the channel? If I didn't know TG30 was in use, do you just add in a bogus one like TG1 or something, or can you leave it at None?

Thanks
Uniden UBCD3600XLT| Uniden UBC780 XLT | Commtel COM215 | Realistic Pro-35 | Realtek RTL820 SDR x4 | SDR Play RSP2 | PiAware/Flightaware ADS-B Receiver | Yaesu FT-891 | Yaesu FT-817ND | Wouxun KG-UV8D | Tytera MD-380 | Anytone AT-D868UV
sec1223
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by sec1223 »

iv got 2... great radio's
cant stand IGNORANT b******ds
DrumGeek
Regular
Regular

Post by DrumGeek »

Can anyone answer my question re monitor mode above, for this radio?

Thanks
Steve B
Regular
Regular

Post by Steve B »

Hold on, this radio has VFO? If so, please let me know how to enable it.
30-Tango-Mike-003
Good Christian Boys: Midland G7 XTR "Street-Legal" PMR 3-watter - Kenwood UBZ-LJ8 PMR446 - Intek FM548SX (With Homogolation boys 8) )
Naughty Boys: Philips 25W FM1100 UHF w/PA4DEN - Baofeng UV5RA, Superstar 360FM (My good one!) w/ CTE 747 100W Amp
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Steve B wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 21:56 Hold on, this radio has VFO? If so, please let me know how to enable it.

Update the firmware to 3.0.6. to get VFO mode but you will need a new codeplug as the older codeplugs won't work.
f4phixeruk
Regular
Regular

Post by f4phixeruk »

Down £11 on Amazon in the Lightning deal for the next 3 hours. Posted at 11:47 GMT 31/01/18
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thelad »

f4phixeruk wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 11:47 Down £11 on Amazon in the Lightning deal for the next 3 hours. Posted at 11:47 GMT 31/01/18
Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't pass on a chance at that price :-)
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
f4phixeruk
Regular
Regular

Post by f4phixeruk »

As a 'Westie' living in Scotland. Your welcome ;) ;)
andymuza
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by andymuza »

Just got one of these via a lightning deal from amazon for £65. I have zero experience with DMR so thought it was a good deal as a first DMR set.

As a DMR noob I am a little lost with it all and I find the radio not very intuitive and the manual is the usual badly translated offering from china. I must add, it's not as bad as some though.

In an ideal world I would have done some research into DMR before committing to buy however, this was a lightning deal with a 5 hour time limit and I got the offer just before I started work so, I took the risk. If I had time to research I would not have bought one as in my area, Teesside, we have no DMR repeaters.

Well finding out that bombshell I thought oh well I will use it in Analogue mode so it's not going to waste. I then discovered that you can't put the radio in analogue mode because you have to use the software to program 1 channel at a time and switching it to analogue. I then read about VFO mode via the latest firmware so I run the upgrade but, it just gives me errors.

I finally get the upgrade done but can't find how you switch to VFO mode. I have seen a video but my radio doesn't have the same menu's as the radio in the video so, for now, I still have to use the software to program analogue channels. I am now getting it into VFO mode.

I would like to say it's been fun but the fact I am unable to use DMR around here is sort of defeating the object.
I will not be commanded, I will not be controlled.
n+1 the formula for working out how many radios you need with n being the current amount.
radiosification
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by radiosification »

andymuza wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 19:01 Just got one of these via a lightning deal from amazon for £65. I have zero experience with DMR so thought it was a good deal as a first DMR set.

As a DMR noob I am a little lost with it all and I find the radio not very intuitive and the manual is the usual badly translated offering from china. I must add, it's not as bad as some though.

In an ideal world I would have done some research into DMR before committing to buy however, this was a lightning deal with a 5 hour time limit and I got the offer just before I started work so, I took the risk. If I had time to research I would not have bought one as in my area, Teesside, we have no DMR repeaters.

Well finding out that bombshell I thought oh well I will use it in Analogue mode so it's not going to waste. I then discovered that you can't put the radio in analogue mode because you have to use the software to program 1 channel at a time and switching it to analogue. I then read about VFO mode via the latest firmware so I run the upgrade but, it just gives me errors.

I finally get the upgrade done but can't find how you switch to VFO mode. I have seen a video but my radio doesn't have the same menu's as the radio in the video so, for now, I still have to use the software to program analogue channels. I am now getting it into VFO mode.

I would like to say it's been fun but the fact I am unable to use DMR around here is sort of defeating the object.
You could still use simplex DMR if there are any locals with DMR radios.

There are plenty of DMR repeaters around the country, so you could take your radio with you when travelling places. I had a look and the closest ones to you seem to be Newcastle and Hexham so not excessively far if you were really desperate to try it.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
radiogaga
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM399

Post by radiogaga »

Don't suppose anyone has a UK cqodeplug for the GD77 under the 3.00.06 Firmware?

Thanks
26TM399 Hampshire and Isle of Wight
30TM399 Northern Costa Blanca