How to mount imax2000 on to a 2 inch mast ???

A forum for the discussion of matters of a technical nature. All such activities are undertaken at the readers discretion and own risk. If you don't know what you are doing, don't blame us if it all goes wrong!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

How to mount imax2000 on to a 2 inch mast ???

Post by WARLOCK »

any ideas as to how to fit a imax 2000 antenna on to a 2 inch scaffold pole as the u bolts that come with the imax 2000 antenna will not go round the 2 inch pole and the holes on the antenna , how can i overcome this problem i am sure many of you have .
speeddemon

Re: How to mount imax2000 on to a 2 inch mast ???

Post by speeddemon »

Auto parts store get 2 1/4 exhaust pipe clampz n 3/8 drill bit. :ugeek: .
Last edited by speeddemon on 07 Dec 2017, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

I used 4 Jubilee clips.... job done :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

I always worry that using adapters leads to wobbly joints. And as for those dodgy geezers that only use 4 jubilee clips then.... ;)

Your local car shop can sell you the right size U bolts (the tighter the better), but is there enough metal on the sides of the antenna's holes to open them up a bit to accommodate the new U bolts?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

The Collector wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 17:12 I always worry that using adapters leads to wobbly joints. And as for those dodgy geezers that only use 4 jubilee clips then.... ;)

Your local car shop can sell you the right size U bolts (the tighter the better), but is there enough metal on the sides of the antenna's holes to open them up a bit to accommodate the new U bolts?
I used an adapter for years without any issues. The other thing I've used with great success and still do, are Shelly mast to pole clamps. Normally used to offset a pole at right angles, they are excellent at allowing you to clamp one pole to another vertically and as such, let you reduce the size of the other pole (or aerial)
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

Take a 8-10mm steel plate. Drill holes for imax u bolts, than drill another holes for mast u bolts. Done.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

I couldn't find a picture of mine how it used to be mounted, so I pressed my MSPaint skills into action. See below. :-D
iMax_Mount.png
I actually had 4 Jubilee clips holding mine, but for illustrative purposes I've only drawn three, just so you get the idea. I'd also make suure that the overlap between the two ran the full length of the flat-panel on the iMax, again I've not drawn that because it wouldn't give a true idea of what I'd done. Happy to be quizzed further, just gimme a shout. cheers

Saves on adaptors and all the jazz. Good luck, let us know how you get on. :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

...or just use a few blobs of Gorilla glue or blutack ;)
Cornelius
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

If you have the tools (or know a friend who does), you can drill some holes around the top of the 2" mast, and make the holes threaded. Then insert the imax into the top of the 2" mast and fasten it with bolts...

If the imax mast are a snug fit into the 2" mast, you could just drill 2 holes straight through both, and bolt them together...
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by WARLOCK »

THANKS TO ALL ,i have decided to give the shelly clamps a try wish me well .
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

The Collector wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 17:04 ...or just use a few blobs of Gorilla glue or blutack ;)
or double sided sticky tape and string :lol:
love your familly
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by WARLOCK »

Have tried the Gorilla glue and tape also double sided sticky tape and i even tried string but living in the countryside the bloody birds keep pinching every thing that is not made of metal to build there nests with so in the end i am going to use 2 shelly clamps i just hope there are no steelpeckers about
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

Let us know how you get on..... :thumbup: good luck!

paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Jubilee clips and other bodges seem a bit unnecessary when you can just drill 2 (or 4) new holes and use proper unbolts. Jubilee clips are not good for connecting two cylindrical objects, they skew at the drop of a bit of wind. New holes and proper bolts are the only long lasting solution. With the jubilee clip option, the contact area is tiny, and any lateral movement 90 degrees to the direct of the poles will tilt very easily, and as the tilting also losses the tightness of the jubilee clips it's not a good solution. With straps like this, the tightest is when poles are parallel, the minute they tilt, tightness vanishes.