Ofcom PLT advice.

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
TeamFabulous
Regular
Regular

Ofcom PLT advice.

Post by TeamFabulous »

Recently I have been receiving an S9+ of PLT interference on all of the 11 meter band, the CW portion of 10 meters and various short wave frequencys. I have contacted Ofcom and they informed me for them to consider an investigation I need to take note of specific frequencys that I have useing in the past and am now being prevented‎ of because of the interference. I explained to the engineer that the full 11 meter band was being obliterated with PLT interference and he explained to me that because a full portion of the spectrum was affected Ofcom consider this a high noise floor and not interference! 
I am to receive a log from Ofcom to be returned to them this Friday 8th December. They will then deliberate weather any action is to be taken, the engineer also advised me under no circumstances mention PLT devices!!
Any advice of suggestions please.
68OP139
2I0GIQ ‎
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Ofcom PLT advice.

Post by Admiral »

TeamFabulous wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 19:04
Any advice of suggestions please.
1. Move house
2. Take up golf
3. Get your associates at your local club to log QRM too and also report it, the squeaky cog gets the grease.
On your log to OFCOM also include reasonable attempts that you have made to eliminate it as an experienced licence holder, i.e. grounding, inline noise reducers, re-positioning radios and antenna, and the efforts you have made to ensure you are not generating the QRM from your abode.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
TeamFabulous
Regular
Regular

Post by TeamFabulous »

Thanks for the advice.
G8YMW

Post by G8YMW »

The CB service is not a "protected" service while amateur radio is.
Are you sure it's PLT?
Is the QRM on all the time?
Have you done the "Put the radio on a battery and shut the power off at the consumer unit" to confirm it is not your house?
TeamFabulous
Regular
Regular

Post by TeamFabulous »

Definitely PLT and it's on 24/7, iv to email a QRM log to Ofcom tonight so maybe they might do something but I'm not holding my breath..
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

They wont want to know
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

OFCOM's advice is "find another hobby".
TeamFabulous
Regular
Regular

Post by TeamFabulous »

Yip, Ofcom came out and had a sniff round and confirmed PLT interference. Because the interference is on CB frequencys they didn't want to know, even though at least a third of my HF spectrum is suffering from this they describe this as a high noise floor!!
Anyone want to buy all of my pruck!?
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

That's one of the reasons that I've gone back to my roots on V/UHF, HF is just a soup of noise these days if you live in society. It's ironic that we have been spoiled with cheap Chinese radios for the past 20 years, but it's the other cheap Chinese products that are partly responsible for generating S9 of crap.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
TeamFabulous
Regular
Regular

Post by TeamFabulous »

I agree, the noise is notched out on the ham bands but a lot of the other frequencys on which I would short wave listener are just obliterated and because it's not on a specific frequency Ofcom regard it as a high noise floor!!!
If legislation isn't brought in to prevent this carry on this hobby is doomed..
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

I can't help thinking it would be easier/cheaper for the manufacturers to put in a band-pass filter around the intentional transmission rather than a load of notch filters to eliminate the cr4p on the Ham bands.. :problem: