Disappearing Repeaters

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: Disappearing Repeaters

Post by MrWeetabix »

FakeJake wrote:Uh, only if we cant fill the vacant committee posts ;)
A vote for Jake is a Vote for Freedom!

#votejake
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
TornadoEF5
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM4444

Post by TornadoEF5 »

It's not funny, people have used the UKFM repeaters without paying f***k all for years, you know who you are and they could have easily afforded to pay the money but chose not too.

Hope things get sorted next month.

Phil (2e0pro)
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I always thought that it would have been good to fit repeaters with a two tier system, where the core people get more facilities, or perhaps better range, but I guess this isn't in the spirit of the game. Mind you with DMR, these things would be doable. I've often thought that regular users of any repeater system, who don't participate in the re-antennaring and new cabling and new this and that funding are basically like those skimmers who pinch beer in busy pubs.

I've been wracking my brains to think of a suitable new location that the local guys could move our repeater too, but the list is extremely short! My back garden had a 50m tower in it for years, but now it's gone to make way for houses! We have a Police station, the block of flats now out of the question, a tall grain silo where YL used to live at, but all the other high buildings are at sea level, so no good. There is a huge windmill - I wonder if these structures ever get used, but I guess fading would be an issue. Yarmouth is even less well off for suitable unoccupied sites - Lowestotf and Yarmouth have big commercial towers, but I guess just too expensive.
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

TornadoEF5 wrote:It's not funny, people have used the UKFM repeaters without paying f***k all for years, you know who you are and they could have easily afforded to pay the money but chose not too.

Hope things get sorted next month.

Phil (2e0pro)
not guilty, been a member for a few years!
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
pete_uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pete_uk »

It surprises me how some large towns hardly have any coverage but there is plenty of coverage in the back of beyond. Also, maybe some repeaters just need more power to get them out further?