best reliable radio for 11m

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Re: best reliable radio for 11m

Post by WARLOCK »

Whats just as inportent as picking the right radio is picking a good antenna , I use a IMAX 2000 and get on quite well with it there are many others out there as for a radio i use a cobra 148 gtl-dx/president lincoln 1 / ranger 2950 dx all very good radios
mrpsychopath
Call Sign: 108tm1313

Post by mrpsychopath »

I have a solarcom a99 at moment , and was going to add a imax 2000, or president himalaya over ghe winter. Just need to find which will be best for my needs. Once i settle on radios for homebase.
Last edited by mrpsychopath on 16 Sep 2017, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
Kill em all and let god sort them out.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

mrpsychopath for so-called classic I would go for President Jackson.
Antenna you want to add, go for decent aluminium antenna. Will work far better than fiberglass junk.
Last edited by ch25 on 16 Sep 2017, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Been thinking that myself, had one years ago and enjoyed my time using it.
WARLOCK
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM134

Post by WARLOCK »

For a homebase i would go for a early dirland galaxy saturn, board number EPT360012B as near as you can get to a cobra 148 gtl dx as a homebase unit it has digital frequency readout.
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Got a 5 band, plus uk galaxy saturn sitting on my desk at the moment. Least i have 1 radio thats usefull lol
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

mrpsychopath wrote:Got a 5 band, plus uk galaxy saturn sitting on my desk at the moment. Least i have 1 radio thats usefull lol
Scrap that, its now gone to new home. And been replaced by, midland 7001, ham multimode 2, tristar 747, president jackson, and colt 1200dx. Now need to get rid of all the rest and add a new antenna.
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

Only the 5 radios to remain then... Inwonder how long that will last..lol.. Sounds like you've got the bug..;-)
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

No 7, my midland 8001xt and crt9900 are staying too at moment, so just 7 to go lol. And get another antenna and test meter with frequency counter and and and, you have probably all been there.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

ch25 wrote:Will work far better than fiberglass junk.
I'll bite..... the A99 is as-good as any other half-wave aluminium antenna IMHO and I'd contest that there are much better Fibre Glass antennas out there, such as the iMAX 2000.

location and situation are also major factors in determining what is or isn't a good antenna FOR YOUR OWN SITUATION. Living in a coastal location which frequently gets battered by storms, I'd could say that IN MY EXPERIENCE most aluminium-type antennas are 'junk' when compared to fibreglass ones under the same duress.... It's horses for courses

Opinions are like assholes..... everyone has them.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
mrpsychopath

Post by mrpsychopath »

Every aluminium antenna i have ever had broke, within 2 years my home is exposed from the elements to the rear so they get the wind and rain. Hence why i would prefer fibreglass. My old big stick lasted 15 years before it broke. My ham big sexy lasted 4 months efore the wint got it. Used to get a winter out of stardusters and sigma 4s.
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

I have a Gainmaster that's above the roofline and is going into its 5th year .. Still going strong... ;)
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

JibberJabber wrote:I have a Gainmaster that's above the roofline and is going into its 5th year .. Still going strong... ;)
Apart from being physically shorter, I wonder if the GM HW is as well built?
I ask because the one I put up earlier in the year hasn't seen its first winter yet and already has a noticeable tilt on it.

On some antennas, the flexing can assist the overall structural integrity and I wonder if the short ass version I have is stiffer and more prone to issues?
I guess we'll see soon enough. Was thinking of changing it for something else mind but it would be useful to see if it is still there the other side of winter or has made an impromptu appearance in any of my neighbours gardens! :)
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

kilimax wrote:
JibberJabber wrote:I have a Gainmaster that's above the roofline and is going into its 5th year .. Still going strong... ;)
Apart from being physically shorter, I wonder if the GM HW is as well built?
I ask because the one I put up earlier in the year hasn't seen its first winter yet and already has a noticeable tilt on it.

On some antennas, the flexing can assist the overall structural integrity and I wonder if the short ass version I have is stiffer and more prone to issues?
I guess we'll see soon enough. Was thinking of changing it for something else mind but it would be useful to see if it is still there the other side of winter or has made an impromptu appearance in any of my neighbours gardens! :)
I've just realised my post was adding to what had become a tad OT so apologies to the OP.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think: