27.560 muppets

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Re: 27.560 muppets

Post by ch25 »

Sorry mate, you have no idea what you are talking about.
3KHz spacing on SSB is enough for my rig to have clear frequency.
I can work DX even with someone transmitting 1-2KHz from my RX frequency. Some splatter, but workable.
Get decent radio, you'll know what I mean.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

ch25 wrote:Sorry mate, you have no idea what you are talking about.
3KHz spacing on SSB is enough for my rig to have clear frequency.
I can work DX even with someone transmitting 1-2KHz from my RX frequency. Some splatter, but workable.
Get decent radio, you'll know what I mean.
Be interesting to know what your radio and filter settings are matey.i don't tend to have to many splatter problems it's only the big kW power stations that give me a slight knocking when 5 kc either side
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: Lemmy

Post by ch25 »

It is irrelevant. RX performance matters. SDR or crystal filters.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

NightProwler wrote:Im using a Yaesu FT757GXII with an Imax 2000 fed with 15 meters of RG213 not a Fidelity 1000 and a coat hanger :roll:
Coff coff!

Naff all wrong with the legend that is the Fidelity 1000 mega rig.... ;)
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

You will get QRM when we have people using RF amplifiers like a guitar amp driving kl203's 400's 500's & equivalent zetagis with 20w ssb,

5kc is enough for j3e (normal ssb) if people keep their IMD to sensible levels,
But they don't, The reality is ops who use amps like jimmy hendrix & eSSB voodo so its not enough.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Tim wrote:You can quote figures all you like, you're going to get splatter from 5kc's either side no matter what the radio is, old or new.
Exactly :thumbup:
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
Bigdave
Legend
Legend

Post by Bigdave »

Here's some figures for you to consider, I'm thinking your definitely going to get splatter.................... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
26 TM 1248
WINNER of INB4TL, the big battle edition 16/07/23
OFTEN IMITATED,BUT NEVER INTIMIDATED.
WINNER of INB4TL,the no interest edition 18/03/24
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

:shock: :wtf: :lol: :lol:
Unit 148 Mobile
Call Sign: G4ZOW

Post by Unit 148 Mobile »

wa10 wrote:Traditionally the Italians were well known for overdriving amplifiers creating IMD that causes issues to near by frequencies, they often used class C amps on ssb too.

Its not all their fault nor are they alone in thinking pumping 20w ssb into cb amps is ok because it says so in the user manual,
the manufacturers also put ssb switches on class C amps which is almost as stupid as claiming up to 4x what the amplifiers will output with reasonable IMD levels,

there are no specs to meet for cb amps so they can claim anything to lubricate your wallet.
I'm not so sure about the Italians using class-C amplifiers on 11m frequencies.

While many Italian amplifiers may not have the best bias circuits they do in my experience have them so it's not just a delay that is switched on with the AM - SSB switch.

I think you'll find that it is the 'competition' amp's produced in the US that are run 'flat out' in C. They are manufactured like this.

If you know of any Italian 27Mhz CB amplifier without bias please do tell. Sometimes I need educating.

The fact of over-driving amplifiers is of course a different subject and I agree totally with you but if you've ever listened to UK signals while abroad then you'll know that there is little difference between this country and Italy.

Possibly they have more and bigger amplifiers but the sound across the band, especially around 555 is the same.

I agree with ch25. It's important to have as good a receiver as you can afford when investing in a transceiver, good receiver selectivity is king and will in most cases, Jimmy Hendrix or not, allow you to pull out those weak and often rare DX. If you can hear them but they cannot hear you then it's a simple antenna upgrade, and if that doesn't work...you know me.

Unit 148 Mobile (Now based in 5B4 land)
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

You can argue until the cows come home about xKhz filters and dirty amps, but it's still good operating procedure to QSY to at least the minimum that the band and equipment were designed for, in this case 10Kc.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
KlondikeMike
Call Sign: 9WR2000

Post by KlondikeMike »

You should be thankful that they moved off T5. The further you move away from your initial contact frequency, the less likely they are going to be there after you move. Sometimes a 20khz shift might be too much.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Back in the day Italian cb'ers loved fiting/using these in ther old alan 48's/colts mky8000 :geek: :thumbup:
wa10
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by wa10 »

The standards of audio on 555 has gone down the pan so i can imagine what you say is correct, i hear folk that sound **** local getting r5 reports from people who's ears don't work right,

Zetagi Bremi CTE solid state amps ALL sounded like they had no bias on ssb even though some of them did have basic bias circuits,

later amps have a very similar crude circuit but it works better, still unregulated starts out too high & dips back towards class C as drive level increases but its enough to cover up audible switching distortion,

more recently we had CTE bipolar & fet amps with ssb delay in class C, Zetagi, rm, ea150 clones, kl300's, that were class C with ssb delay switches, some ea150's did have biasing and some did not,

more recent zetagi 150's use the kl203 fet board which is biased but FAR from linear above about 4w drive,

fake palomars that say AB on the front but are class C inside and unstable,
a palomar elite 400hd makes a USA comp amp sound clean,

ebay palomar 600-900's that do have untracked regulated biasing but are half ass built & not tuned, i was so impressed i sold the 4 x 2879's that came in my 900v,

some of the latest RM cb amps have active regulated biasing with thermal tracking based on the motorola 723 regulator circuit,
i have not tested them for load regulation but i have two to repair so i will test the bias circuit,

i am familiar with the Davemade clones Joemade Xforce Fatboy, they do sound crap on SSB and not so good on AM to my ears unless you bias them,

i have seen the crude class B biasing that Xforce used when Carl was the owner & Danny worked there,
don't know the new guy Harlan or seen what they are using for biasing now.
W8JI
"An antenna with a poor ground using few radials cannot have a support mast grounded to the radial common point (at least it shouldn't if designed properly) There is no exception to this!
hal2710
Call Sign: 26TM2710

Post by hal2710 »

I have a Lake Manxman 850 (AKA Fidelity 1000)

5kc away and getting splatter, that's nothing. If your on Ch1 and I'm on 40, I get splattered on. That's 400kc away.

So radios and bandwidth filtering does matter !

As Einstein would say :- Matter is equal to Splatter divided by Opinion.

Here enduth the Lesson. (I'm going the Nags head)
26-TM-2710, SuperDoh Homebase, Lake Manxman 850. Homemade Inverted Vee Di-pole in the loft.
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

108xx002 wrote:It's always the same stations...1LR001 for one. Being the group president he should know better, but alas he is a bad teacher and a fud TBH. I have told him many times to QSY but he does not give a flying f...monkey about it :/ CB has a bad name anyway without the need for DQRM.

The end is nigh...for 11m anyway as all that will be left on the band will be QRM'ers QRM'ing other QRM'ers :/
he does this on purpose , (how true i dont know ) but i was told he has A BIG DISLIKE FOR THE sugar delta`s and alfa tango`s or certain members from said groups, i also belive he was a SD menber many moons ago , he encourages his members to use 560 and when he is there he has his linear full belt just to make qrm for 555 , ive had run ins on the radio and facebook with him , he needs to chill out
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72