Retevis RT-82 Receiver Sensitivity

Use this section to discuss Digital Amateur Radio operations, such as D-Star and other digitally-encoded traffic
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Retevis RT-82 Receiver Sensitivity

Post by Auldgeek »

Hi all,

Looking for feedback from owners of the Retevis RT-82, particularly with regards to receiver performance.
I've recently taken delivery of one of these dual band DMR transceivers and have spent some time on creating a suitable codeplug to use in the Central Scotland area.
I already own a UHF Retevis RT-3 and using my external colinear, can hear the various timeslots from GB7EE and GB7GG along with a bunch of analogue repeaters so I have a good idea of what I should be able to hear.

So here's the thing. Using my RT-82 and the same colinear, I'm unable to hear anything from the 2 DMR repeaters and there's another repeater, GB3OH that's so weak, it won't lift the squelch. This is an analogue voice repeater that's fully quieting on my RT-3. Even switching down to 2m, it's well down on other radios I own. One of the annoyances of the RT-82 is the squelch sensitivity setting. Instead of a stepped setting, you seem to have a choice of normal or tight which isn't very practical.

Anyway, before I call the supplier, looking to guage how other owners of this radio think about the receiver sensitivity. Is it much the same, better or worse than your other radios?

Cheers
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Retevis RT-82 Receiver Sensitivity

Post by Admiral »

Sorry, I don't own one, but regardless of if everyone else's is deaf compared to the RT-3 then I would send it back anyway, it's either faulty or a crap radio, either way you don't want your hard earned sitting useless on a shelf.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Admiral wrote:Sorry, I don't own one, but regardless of if everyone else's is deaf compared to the RT-3 then I would send it back anyway, it's either faulty or a crap radio, either way you don't want your hard earned sitting useless on a shelf.
Yeah, it's pretty useless as is, just keen to know if it's a general thing or mine is particularly crap!
Intending to call Martin Lynch tomorrow.

Cheers Admiral.
Auldgeek - Drew

BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

Mine's comparable with the MD-380 on UHF using the stock antenna, it sounds like you've got a duff one.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

BK wrote:Mine's comparable with the MD-380 on UHF using the stock antenna, it sounds like you've got a duff one.
Cheers mate. Back it goes!
Auldgeek - Drew

gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

Sure I noticed a video on YouTube showing similar findings re poor rx, will see if I can find it, wasn't connected to a poor antenna connector on the set was it ?
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

gmham wrote:Sure I noticed a video on YouTube showing similar findings re poor rx, will see if I can find it, wasn't connected to a poor antenna connector on the set was it ?
Same sma adaptor was used for both radios for test and I made sure the connection was tight.
I'll have a search myself but compared to my RT-3, it's awful!
Auldgeek - Drew

gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

sorry this was the video I had seen, was the antenna itself. are they clones off each other the tyt and the retevis new models ? sorry been out off the DMR handie scene for a while !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J5-rObslwP0
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
GaryWilson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0GGQ

Post by GaryWilson »

I have recently got one of these as well, I really don't like the squelch arrangement it's just not variable enough. I was recently up at Epsom downs and could Key up GB3LW and receive a signal back which was loud and clear at a distance of about 17 miles so I guess the receiver in mine is OK however i'm sure i'm missing stuff under the squelch level at times, perhaps a firmware update in the future will resolve this issue.
26CT1836 2E0GGQ
BK
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by BK »

gmham wrote:sorry this was the video I had seen, was the antenna itself. are they clones off each other the tyt and the retevis new models ?
The antenna and case are completely different, I believe the innards are the same though.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

GaryWilson wrote:I have recently got one of these as well, I really don't like the squelch arrangement it's just not variable enough. I was recently up at Epsom downs and could Key up GB3LW and receive a signal back which was loud and clear at a distance of about 17 miles so I guess the receiver in mine is OK however i'm sure i'm missing stuff under the squelch level at times, perhaps a firmware update in the future will resolve this issue.
That's something I noticed myself. On 2m, GB3FF is not strong enough to lift the squelch but if I open up the squelch, it's in smooth noise. The squelch arrangement is very poor as is.
Auldgeek - Drew

Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

A little update on the receiver sensitivity issue. Replacement sent by the supplier and this one is absolutely fine, no issues with receive. It's easily as good as my RT-3 so all is well :P
Auldgeek - Drew

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I'm glad you got it sorted Drew, I guess this is a bit of a message that spending a bit extra buying from a reputable UK dealer rather than an anonymous Asian outlet does have benefits.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Admiral wrote:I'm glad you got it sorted Drew, I guess this is a bit of a message that spending a bit extra buying from a reputable UK dealer rather than an anonymous Asian outlet does have benefits.
Absolutely. I've been burned before with buying from China so I now have a maximum amount I'm willing to risk and for this radio, I wasn't willing.

Service was excellent. Replaced at my front door as it happens. Replacement delivered and faulty one collected at the same time.

Can't really complain at that! :thumbup:
Auldgeek - Drew

GaryWilson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0GGQ

Post by GaryWilson »

kilimax wrote:A little update on the receiver sensitivity issue. Replacement sent by the supplier and this one is absolutely fine, no issues with receive. It's easily as good as my RT-3 so all is well :P
I'm glad it's sorted now Drew, I've managed a few contacts now on DMR which turns out to be more fun than I expected!! so I'm really pleased with this purchase, I'm still hoping for a solution to the squelch system but other than that it's a great radio.

73 Gary.
26CT1836 2E0GGQ