Proposed changes to Foundation syllabus

A place to discuss the amateur radio licence, training and examination.
Sam P
Call Sign: 26DR340

Re: Proposed changes to Foundation syllabus

Post by Sam P »

My 14 year old son whizzed through the foundation a month ago with a very limited amount of study, it would seem none of his mates share a desire to be involved in amateur radio... this isn't down to perceived study time or complexity, it's just not interesting to them - I would argue this can be rectified by having an engaged and enthusiastic club training team to bring the subject 'to life' for them.

However, this is just anotherr distraction; all learning cycles should be reviewed regularly to ensure currency and incorporate lessons learned along the way. At the end of the day it is a consultation document, we should take the time to give honest feedback and shape the review so the outcome is fit for purpose.
Last edited by Sam P on 02 Jul 2017, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
Ubique Loquimur
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G7HID

Post by Metradio »

TimH1971 wrote:I'm 45, by the time I hopefully get to 75 how many of today's 15 yr olds will even be aware that amateur radio exists?
By the time you get to 46 how many kids wil have ever heard of amateur radio ??
As a youngster radio was like an "X Box" to me - I had to have one. With todays youngsters unless it incorporates virtual reality forget it..
Now do we really want to try and encourage friends and family, who would rather be doing something more interesting or drop the entry level to allow the misfits from society to become the new blood ?
At one time you either had to have a good knowledge of electronics and the license conditions OR attend a (up to 6 month) course to pass.. Nowadays I see muppets saying "they could not spare a weekend" or "the bus does not pass my front door" or "I don't like to go out on Thursdays" !!!
Well if they can't put the effort in are they welcome ? Are they CENSORED !!
We just need people who are really interested in getting into the hobby, the uninterested and misfits - sorry nothing to see here..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD V1.

Whistler WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q / UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
thedeerhunter270
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by thedeerhunter270 »

Admiral wrote:
TimH1971 wrote:I'm 45, by the time I hopefully get to 75 how many of today's 15 yr olds will even be aware that amateur radio exists?
And the twelve remaining hams in the UK can have a good chat about the good old days
Eleven, alas Harry is now a silent Key.
Operating in South Northumberland and Weardale.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Amateur radio is a fringe hobby in the 21st Century, just like 8-bit gamers, a hobby for nerdy people, you cannot make people like radio, it's either in your belly or it ain't, I say don't put obstacles in the way of people out there who would like to get involved but won't because of perceived failure or time constraints, an open door policy won't invite in 'misfits', we're already a bunch of misfits as far as society is concerned, troublemakers aren't going to spend a lot of money and aggro climbing on roofs just for a kick.

The hobby has been dying since the 90's, it is currently on a ventilator and the RSGB Ltd seem to be lobbying to switch it off. Those jerk-offs probably don't allow women into their bar either. I am probably wrong on all counts, it's just the way I see it, and when 4G and 5G LTE comes in it will be another nail in the ham coffin.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

My reference to 'misfits' is a guarded pointer to the child predators, who seem to infest most youth organisations - most large radio clubs have had one in the last 10yrs...

Mike

sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

Metradio wrote:My reference to 'misfits' is a guarded pointer to the child predators, who seem to infest most youth organisations - most large radio clubs have had one in the last 10yrs...

Mike
So in your sentence that said... Now do we really want to try and encourage friends and family, who would rather be doing something more interesting or drop the entry level to allow the misfits from society to become the new blood ?

You really meant..

"Now do we really want to try and encourage friends and family, who would rather be doing something more interesting or drop the entry level to allow child predators to become the new blood" ??? :crazy: :crazy:

How will raising the bar of the foundation exam keep paedofiles out?
Embrace your inner muppet !
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Having a PhD entry level exam won't stop paedos getting in, they are some of the most intelligent people out there, and likewise, my idea of making the Foundation exam-free won't attract more paedos in that aren't already in. But it will mean that partially sighted, people with learning difficulties and those that are semi, or fully illiterate can enjoy the hobby, yes, there are schemes to help these people currently, but most of them don't know that and don't bother. Also, there are still many long-term diehard CBers that would fancy a go on other bands, but they won't take the exam because it is a psychological downer to even consider sitting an exam which is totally beneath them as they are 30 years ahead of the other people sitting in a classroom, but if they just filled in a form and included a cheque for the admin fee then they would be more likely to do so they could run the two disciplines side by side.

And to counter my own argument before someone else does, "well as CB is licence free how come CB is on it's arse too?", because people are fed up with the crack-heads and just pack in, well if they could jump ship then it's win-win.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

radio is not and never will be a big draw for the kids .its a shame people are not interested in learning when snap chat . instagram and whatts app ,are about but make it easy for people to join not harder ,forget the test or it will die on its arse 1
love your familly
TimH1971
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26CT2116

Post by TimH1971 »

What would breathe some life into the hobby is to encourage the good cb operators - those who take part and run the Ssb nets for example, to go for the foundation.

Big selling point is the fact that you can operate from home on 2m or 70cm QRM free. Antennas are cheaper and smaller and the equipment no more expensive.

Probably get shot down in flames but only the good ops from 11m would bother moving to get a licence and there are many tidy ops out there.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

yes but why will young people pay i dont know £50 with the hall payment and that when they dont need too wifi is free and they can chat on any web site for free it should be free
love your familly
TimH1971
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26CT2116

Post by TimH1971 »

I take your point about the kids.

My post really is a short term measure aimed at the 30 40 50 somethings who are on 11m and who would suit a foundation licence.

Most wiuld breeze the exam and be happy to pay 45 quid to take it.
Metradio
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Metradio »

sickboy wrote:....How will raising the bar of the foundation exam keep paedofiles out?
It would stop the chancers creeping in under the radar..

Mike

sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

I thought the purpose of the exam was to make sure the candidate knew how to set up a station safely, and operate it without causing interference. Some of the people criticising how easy it is seem to think it's to keep muppets out.
Imagine the uproar if you needed to pass an exam to have internet access, showing a full understanding of computers, servers, networks and HTML coding..
Embrace your inner muppet !
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

owza wrote:Are they deliberately trying to kill the hobby?
Yep. Its almost as if Bipgimp is in charge of the aRSeGB.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

I do have to agree that the foundation should be more involved, I only say this because of some of the posts I see on some Facebook groups by people that have a nice new Foundation Licence and that are posting stuff like

"what mag mount do I need, I have just bought a FT-981 (totally getting the name of the radio wrong it should be a FT-891
) but I have no clue what antenna connection it has" (it is clearly a SO239 from the picture she supplied us all with)

When told this by another member who is a G4 the next question was "I have a baofeng uv5r with a mag mount but I think the connection on the end is different can someone look please and tell me will it fit the new FT-981 radio" (ERM TRY IT AND SEE, what's wrong with people these days? why won't they just try things anymore? if you get a shock or something so what at least you learned from it)

OK knowing what plug or connection does what is fine for people like me that have come from a CB, SWL, Scanner Listener background and that already know all about that kind of stuff, but for a complete novice that has had no radio experience at all and that just happens to get a few questions rite to pass the foundation, but still clearly has no clue what socket and plug is for what on a radio, then this needs to be addressed and covered more in the Foundation Learning.

I have to admit I sat there dumbfounded when I seen this question/questions thinking "AY YOU", "YOU JUST PASSED THE FOUNDATION AND YOU SHOULD ALREADY KNOW THIS"
then I sat and thought about it from her angle and her perspective (she has obviously had no previous experience with anything radio related) and I then sat thinking about what the foundation curently covers regarding Antenna plugs and antenna sockets, although at present a PL259 is very slightly covered I don't think a SO239 is (I totally get the girl, I never knew the name of it until I had been on the CB for 6 months to a year).

The new syllabus will bring all of this information from the Intermediate into the Foundation, so to me the change in syllabus is a good thing for those with absolutely no Radio background or knowledge.

Maybe questions should be asked when applying to take a foundation course of "DO YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE USE AND SETUP OF ANY RADIO EQUIPMENT AT ALL?" if the answer is NO then the foundation should include at least 1 month of extra time at a club using a radio under supervision including some walk through of each antenna plug and its corresponding socket and the front workings (not front end) of several different radios, this could even incur an extra charge of say £10 or £20 just so each new Foundation candidate is going into the course at least with some understanding of radio and radios. If this was the case I think the pass rate would be at least 20% higher than it is now but with a better understanding of the basics of a radio station overall.

Now don't get me wrong, I am by no meens a Radio guru Far from it and I found both the Foundation and the Intermediate hard to do, although I have built several radio related projects including FM Broadcast Transmitters, but what I am saying is that the knowledge I gained from both a CB, SWL and Scanner Listener perspective and also through a project perspective has stood me in good stead with enough knowledge to pass both my Foundation and Intermediate with no questions like those quoted above from a new Foundation Licence Holder.

I wish the girl all the best of luck in the hobby, and I for one, will pass on any knowledge I have, if she requires, be that good or bad knowledge, because that is what this hobby is all about, helping those that are new and not as clued on radio as we believe we are ourselves.

73's de M6LIG/2E0LIG
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE