Underrated and overrated radios.

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Re: Underrated and overrated radios.

Post by The Collector »

Underrated - Fidelity 1000

Overrated - anything other than a Fidelity 1000

;)
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Overrated = Jentecs
Underrated = Binatone route 66 :mrgreen:
Not rated = Fidelity 1000 & Associated clones.......
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Overrated : Cobra 200 .

Underrated : I don't know , as the only radios I have are well respected ones :)
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
prettypolly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB185

Post by prettypolly »

underated h i mm3 concky 3 ..never owned jumbo 3 .
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

prettypolly wrote:underated h i mm3 concky 3
And for a reason, the channel banks are madder than a Colonel/WKS and it's the ugliest rig ever made. The MK2 is one of my favourites, no nonsense WYSIWYG rig.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Overrated:- DNT Scanner40, looked good, but suffered from QRM a heck of a lot

Underrated, I too nominate the 901, My dad had one in 85' that's what got me into this hobby! I soon followed with a 901 a few years after my average Jesan KT 4004 rig which I swapped for the 901! I also got a Midland (forgot the model) Cept FM only where the 4 led's were diagonally positioned.
You can never have enough radios!
harakiri

Post by harakiri »

Hello friends.
I love these kinda topics.
Overrated:
I find myself having to agree a bit with the people here saying Cobra 148 gtl-dx/360FM is a bit overrated. Based on some of the prices I`ve seen some fetch its way way overrated. The only reason for me that a 148 beats a 3900 is the knobs.. I think the knobs is among the prettiest of all the radios. But thats me.. I have heard good things about some of the SS 3900,even some from CRT,so maybe it is underrated.

I have mainly had good experiences with the RCI 2950 /Sommerkamp TS 2000DX. For me the RCI ties with Lincoln.

For underrated: I`ll first start off by agreeing to the ones here mentioning the Anyclones,and I have`nt even had the chance to test ss 6900 n yet,but have used 9900 a bit.. For the price..omg..this is the radio you go to if you need a new radio fast,and no time to think,just order a anyclone. I`m even considering ordering one right now,because I have`nt gotten around to testing the version 6. I had a v5 K-po dx 5000 or whatever the name was.. it went south on usb,and that was not rare on v5. Never got it fixed,its for parts or fm,am use..but I still want to try the 6900N . These radios gets a lot of heat,from me too,but if low on cash and I just want to get the hold of a multimode set with good frequency reach,cant go very wrong with anyclone. I would not recommend it in a car during winter months though,but maybe they even got better on that issue.

President Grant (999),as mentioned by others.Great radio. It has had a rising star as of late,but before I could see Grants fetch less than 1/3 of what an old broken 148dx did. I can not understand that.
Grant might not be very underrated,but it deserves to be brought up.

I want to mention the Uniden Grant XL. It might not be underrated,but it is rarely on these sort of list,and it might be because of no FM and one band is standard,but I just got the hold of my first one of these,and I like the radio. Its become a little fav of mine,but gives me dilemmas. Its standard,and I wish it was 3 band and had FM.

Since Stalker 9f clearly could be put in as both underrated and overrated I`ll throw my last vote to President Jack. Not surprising Jack to be good though since its basicly a Grant without the low band.

Cheers
Eh..Its time.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Underrated - Murphy CBH1500, the best base station in the World.

Overrated - President stuff.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Another one underrated for me is the Commtron CXX (NATO FM), it was great to have FCC 40 AM to keep in touch with the diehards that refused to change over in 81 and the new muppet FM 40, later good for the CEPT 40 FM. The hi band AM/FM was fairly useless though, and its achilles heal was the damn 5 Pin DIN mic that took your eye out every now and again, I wouldn't mind getting hold of one for S&G.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

Admiral wrote:Another one underrated for me is the Commtron CXX (NATO FM), it was great to have FCC 40 AM to keep in touch with the diehards that refused to change over in 81 and the new muppet FM 40, later good for the CEPT 40 FM. The hi band AM/FM was fairly useless though, and its achilles heal was the damn 5 Pin DIN mic that took your eye out every now and again, I wouldn't mind getting hold of one for S&G.
Pic's for Admiral - Now you see it, now you don't ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie Hotel
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26ch01

Post by Charlie Hotel »

Underrated for me was my old Stalker 9 fdx. Always wanted one as a kid, got one as a grown
Up (it really was a very tidy radio) and regretted selling it on EBay a few years back.

It did everything I needed and got me all over Europe and California once!
Yaesu FT-710
Kenwood TS 850 SAT
Stalker 9FDX
Cobra 148 gtl dx
Rotel RVC240 mid and splits
Uniden uniace 200 mid and splits black front
Fidelity Homebase
Ham jumbo
Stalker 5
Midland 77/09
Colt45A

Handles.
Originally Clothes Horse '88-'89
Then Charlie Hotel '89-present
Charlie Hotel
Regular
Regular

Post by Charlie Hotel »

The Collector wrote:
Admiral wrote:Another one underrated for me is the Commtron CXX (NATO FM), it was great to have FCC 40 AM to keep in touch with the diehards that refused to change over in 81 and the new muppet FM 40, later good for the CEPT 40 FM. The hi band AM/FM was fairly useless though, and its achilles heal was the damn 5 Pin DIN mic that took your eye out every now and again, I wouldn't mind getting hold of one for S&G.
Excuse me for being ignorant, however what are Zombie lights??????
Yaesu FT-710
Kenwood TS 850 SAT
Stalker 9FDX
Cobra 148 gtl dx
Fidelity Homebase
Ham jumbo
Stalker 5
Midland 77/09
Colt45A

Handles.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

Charlie Hotel wrote:
The Collector wrote:
Excuse me for being ignorant, however what are Zombie lights??????
really bright spot lamps for utility vehicles
love your familly
Charlie Hotel
Regular
Regular

Post by Charlie Hotel »

Happy days, I'll not bother with any n the Jag then!
Yaesu FT-710
Kenwood TS 850 SAT
Stalker 9FDX
Cobra 148 gtl dx
Fidelity Homebase
Ham jumbo
Stalker 5
Midland 77/09
Colt45A

Handles.
The Collector
Legend
Legend

Post by The Collector »

It's a well-known fact that Zombies skin is a bit translucent, so if you use an ultra-violet halogen bulb in your spotlights, it lights up their skeletons nicely so you can spot them easily and get ready for some Zombie splatting fun ;)

Or it could just be that I bought a few switches and one of them had that on it. It's a bit boring told truthfully though.

The spotlights switch there actually fires up my 600watt Sony amp and Clarion 10" subwoofer :)