New Member Seeking Some Advice!

A place to discuss airband listening, frequencies and anything related to this area of the hobby.
Number Six
Registered New User
Registered New User

New Member Seeking Some Advice!

Post by Number Six »

Good afternoon all

Being an aircraft enthusiast, I have just joined this site and would like to ask for your advice as to which hand-held scanner you would recommend I purchase. I live near a couple of military air bases and would like to be able to listen in to the transmissions when I'm out and about, photographing the aircraft. I have a budget of approx £200 so would appreciate any help anyone can give me, please.

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:
Dave_M0YAA
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M0YAA

Re: New Member Seeking Some Advice!

Post by Dave_M0YAA »

any half decent airband scanner should be capably of receiving the signals. I use a HAM radio, because it's what I have, but I dare say someone with more in depth knowledge of scannerageing will have favourites.

Be seeing you.
M0YAA
26-TM-1102
Brownie2k2001

Post by Brownie2k2001 »

Can't go wrong with a Uniden UBC3500XLT. Covers the full airband and military air too. Great mobile scanner

You can pick them up for around £120 on eBay, and if you get the programming cable with it, and use bcTool, they're simple as can be to program. With the addition of Close Call you can't go wrong. Also gives you the option of listening to Marine, analogue PMR etc. Great scanners!

If you need a base station scanner for home purposes only, you could always try an RTL dongle on a computer and try some SDR, or pick up a Uniden UBC800XLT which is the base version of the 3500. To be fair though, you could use the 3500 indoors or outdoors.
Number Six
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by Number Six »

Hi Brownie2k2001

That's very helpful thank you. I'll have a look at that one.

Cheers!
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

The Uniden UBC125XLT is a good scanner and covers the civil and mil bands.
Whistler TRX-1