Motorola Gmbh GPN 6106A power supply, any info?

Do you enjoy making your own equipment or antennas? Discuss construction and design in here.
oh5nxo
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: oh5nxo

Motorola Gmbh GPN 6106A power supply, any info?

Post by oh5nxo »

Long shot, but anyway...
Does anyone know something about this very old very heavy german made power supply?
Google does not help, one thread with no info on batboard, nothing on repeater-builder looks similar to this supply.

GPN 6106A
6x6x18 (or so) inches iron chassis, zinc coat, rack rails on the sides
550VA traditional transformer
723 & 3055 (6 in total) traditional circuit
70's style printed circuit board
220v input
Double outputs, 13.Xv one for transmitter, another 14.Xv to charge a battery
Dangling short lead, 4 wires (IIRC).
Possibly from a pager transmitter site
Possibly part of "Motorola Mitrek Compa II station"

The supply still works ok, I'm happy with it, but I'd like to find a schematic or at least to find out how the battery is supposed to be connected. From the 5 or so trimpots, I've located the two voltage adjustments.

Juha
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Re: Motorola Gmbh GPN 6106A power supply, any info?

Post by sureshot »

Sounds interesting, I've no idea to be honest. A beast from your description, be cool to see some pictures of it.
Might throw up some more clues, and someone on here might have come across one in the past.
CB call. Shipwreck.
oh5nxo
Regular
Regular

Post by oh5nxo »

It's just a gray box with lots of tiny ventilation holes, IEC* mains input and a 4-way terminal post. From the outside
S6302792.JPG
and inside
S6302307.JPG
Pardon the wallpaper and the radios :)

Juha

* Correction: Input was a dangling lead, originally. I added the IEC jack myself some years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Post by sureshot »

Definitely looks well made, check out those Diodes, I assume there Diodes. Not sure what the two tall grey components are to the right. Thought high power resistors at first, but they look like pcb mount socket of some sort. No idea..
The other potentiometers might be current limiting or fold back protection adjustment, only maybe. Do the radios work ? Are they VHF, look like commercial stuff. I'm not sure, hope someone can chime in with some knowledge of these radios, and the psu it uses.
CB call. Shipwreck.
oh5nxo
Regular
Regular

Post by oh5nxo »

The upright components are 5 wattish resistors alright. The visible diodes are for some auxiliary voltage, the main rectifier is on the outboard heatsink. There are so many components, that I assume some kind of mains/battery changeover is builtin. There's a relay that clicks when mains is turned off.

I'm not keen to prod any more around the insides while it works, aged components might be brittle. As it has worked for 4 decades or so, so far, it probably outlives me. The 3055 have peculiar sockets, btw, they can be changed from the outside with only a screwdriver.

Juha

The 70cm, 2m, 4m radios shown (NMT, ex-PMR) are not associated with the supply. I know too much about the radios, actually.