Cobwebb antenna advice please.

The place to talk about specific amateur radio equipment and all types of accessories, fixes, repairs and modification.
bc73

Re: Cobwebb antenna advice please.

Post by bc73 »

Have had the T&K brackets fitted to the house but unfortunately due to work commitments I have not had the chance to build it yet, also need to save up to buy an analyser as I don't want to have to take it back down again for a while hopefully. Hope to make a start on the weekend as i am eager to have a go with it.

FT-747-GX.
IC-706-MK2G
Yaesu FT7
Stalker 9FDX
Dirland SS3900E
Nato 2000
Alinco DR135
Amstrad 901
73 and 51

Nothing's ever easy! {bnghd}
bc73

Post by bc73 »

Now Ordered analyser!

FT-747-GX.
IC-706-MK2G
Yaesu FT7
Stalker 9FDX
Dirland SS3900E
Nato 2000
Alinco DR135
Amstrad 901
73 and 51

mark1

Post by mark1 »

Good luck
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

bc73 wrote:Have had the T&K brackets fitted to the house but unfortunately due to work commitments I have not had the chance to build it yet, also need to save up to buy an analyser as I don't want to have to take it back down again for a while hopefully. Hope to make a start on the weekend as i am eager to have a go with it.
Hope you get on well with the build. My Cobwebb build has stalled due to a combination of being away on holiday, awful weather and I'm now having to work the next few weekends so it will be an age before I can get mine completed.

It's assembled but as my earlier posts have explained, I cannot find a decent match on any band above 15m although I'm more convinced than ever, it's my 4/6m yagi that's the culprit!

Keep us all posted on how you get on!
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
mark1

Post by mark1 »

How did you guys get on with your cobwebb's after?
bc73

Post by bc73 »

Hi Mark1, sadly still no progress as i am currently working in South Wales, maybe get a few weeks off after this job is done though. The analyser i bought looks like a good piece of kit though.

FT-747-GX.
IC-706-MK2G
Yaesu FT7
Stalker 9FDX
Dirland SS3900E
Nato 2000
Alinco DR135
Amstrad 901
73 and 51

mark1

Post by mark1 »

Work and the hobby, one always getting in the way of the other lol Well we need to work to pay for this hobby, after all nothings cheap out there these days. Long way from home there buddy, Scotland to Wales. Good luck.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

mark1 wrote:How did you guys get on with your cobwebb's after?
A crocked disc in my back has effectively stopped me from doing almost anything, never mind aerial work. :thumbdown:
To make matters worse, my mast has been tilted over for the last 8 weeks so I've curently no decent 2m/70cm vertical, no 4/6m yagi and my Cobwebb still needs tuning.

I might get it up in the air at some point this year! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Auldgeek - Drew

mark1

Post by mark1 »

kilimax wrote:
mark1 wrote:How did you guys get on with your cobwebb's after?
A crocked disc in my back has effectively stopped me from doing almost anything, never mind aerial work. :thumbdown:
To make matters worse, my mast has been tilted over for the last 8 weeks so I've curently no decent 2m/70cm vertical, no 4/6m yagi and my Cobwebb still needs tuning.

I might get it up in the air at some point this year! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Oh dear that's not good. Shame your mast is not up at least you could play radio whilst home. Hope it gets better.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

mark1 wrote:
Oh dear that's not good. Shame your mast is not up at least you could play radio whilst home. Hope it gets better.
Thanks m8. It's a reoccurrence of an injury from about 6 years ago but this time it's a tad worse. The pain is something else. On the bright side, I get to try all the top shelf drugs :lol:

Can't spend much time in the shack as my chair limits my movement so I'm not missing much I suppose!
Well, I'll try and convince myself of that!!
Auldgeek - Drew

Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

Finally, a dry day coupled with a relatively pain free neck for once, allowed me to get the work I needed completed.

As suspected, the tuning issue I had on 12m & 10m was down to my dualband 4m/6m yagi mounted below the Cobwebb. As I need this yagi and I had no alternative location, it posed a conundrum.
As an experiment, I swapped the antennas around, placing the yagi above the Cobwebb and in this position, it no longer interacted. I did have to completely retune the Cobwebb on all bands but it was actually really easy to find a minimum swr for the parts of the bands I intend to use. Useable bandwidth is about 100-150khz.

One very noticeable improvement straight away is that noise level has dropped by several s-points which is always welcomed especially here.

I'll see how it performs in due course.

Will post a picture of the install at some point soon.
Auldgeek - Drew

mark1

Post by mark1 »

Glad your neck is hopefully on the mend and you managed to get out and do a bit. Funny how close by metals can throw a spanner in the works with regards to tuning an antenna but at least all is well and you managed to resolve your problems.
Thats the one thing i like about my cobwebb is the fact it was quieter than the doublet i had up before. Good luck on the air with it. Let me know what you think.