FM Interference

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
scanhermit

FM Interference

Post by scanhermit »

Anyone heard of a neighbour's heating timer causing crackling on FM? A poster on a non-scanny forum is asking. The crackling starts about 8:00 and ends at 20:16 every day so suggests a heating system. Or does the jury know of any other timed device/system that would do this?
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: FM Interfeence

Post by WeatherWatcher »

What FM frequency, Time span - is neighbour a commercial or domestic property.. Possible if commercial could be a wi fi network, catering could be dodgy stats on ovens etc.
scanhermit

Re: FM Interference

Post by scanhermit »

Radio 4, so around 93-94mhz. He is surrounded by housing with a longstanding woodworking workshop. Industrial units hundreds of metres away, railway station ditto.

The crackling is fairly even and worse where the FM signal is weak. He is suspecting some Christmas contraption in a neighbouring flat.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

The cause is most likely to be from the transformer that powers such things as LED security lighting, computer and other charger units, it's RFI generated by these cheap transformer units, see if the noise is there across the other bands as well. The only way to really cure this is for the item that's causing the problem to be put in the bin and replaced with one that is guaranteed RFI free.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

If the interference is coming from a 3rd party then your correspondent needs to contact Ofcom.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Many thanks, all. I've passed your suggestions along. I'm glad I'm not him.
troffasky

Post by troffasky »

Cheap LED bulb I put in the cooker hood did this. Ended up in the bin.