I'm giving up.

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: I'm giving up.

Post by WeatherWatcher »

JohnB57 wrote:If I've got your locator correct, GB7EP on DMR is in the adjacent square to you. DMR radios are very inexpensive compared with Fusion so for less than £100 you could stick a toe into the digital pond...

Apologies if I have misunderstood your signature in any way.
No problem but Epsom is part of the black hole- first obstacle is a 12 storey block of flats 100m away and right in the way as the crow flies.
JohnB57
Call Sign: G0SJB

Post by JohnB57 »

Worth monitoring output on FM just to see if you get a signal. UHF can be strange and wonderful stuff and you might just be lucky.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

JohnB57 wrote:Worth monitoring output on FM just to see if you get a signal. UHF can be strange and wonderful stuff and you might just be lucky.
Monitored since your last post -nothing at all heard.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

HF isn't line of site, so tower blocks aren't an issue.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Admiral wrote:HF isn't line of site, so tower blocks aren't an issue.

I agree but S7 QRM is
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

S7 QRM is a choker agreed, great for listening to the 1kw boomers of the world, but S1 of static is preferable for normal listening.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

with S7 noise, maybe opt for Digimodes? PSK31 can be quite amazing, even in bad conditions!
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
JohnB57
Call Sign: G0SJB

Post by JohnB57 »

Oldman54 wrote:
JohnB57 wrote:Worth monitoring output on FM just to see if you get a signal. UHF can be strange and wonderful stuff and you might just be lucky.
Monitored since your last post -nothing at all heard.
Bit of a bummer, although monitoring for twenty minutes or so might not be giving it much of a chance!

Sincere good luck whichever way you decide to go.
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:think: Is it the entire Hf spectrum that is covered by s7 of noise? I only ask because sometimes it can depend on time of day/frequency .

I have been dealing with these problems for years as my location is quite frankly poor for radio. A 10 metre telescopic flagpole can quickly become a suitable compromise aerial covering several HF bands with the addition of a 4:1 or 9:1 unun ,some wire as a radiator and also counterpoise radials .
This could also be configured as an inverted L.

If some of the noise is generated from a definate source and you can pinpoint it's origin it might be worth your while calling the regulator and reporting interference to the amateur radio spectrum .

Don't lose heart operating with high rise buildings around you need not be an obstacle . I operate under these circumstances and I hold the DXCC/qrp certificate all acheived on phone SSB/AM and some FM on ten metres. I'm not certain how much garden you have available but I am certain that there must be a solution . It should be possible to operate radio from almost any location in my view.

You could use digital modes as suggested by Craig I hope that helps in some way
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Further update, have sold my FT817 and am getting rid of the antennae that I cannot put up next week.
Bummer I know but the reality is that I am only allowed 1 antenna by the housing association so have opted for my weather satellite antenna, that does at least work and I still have a dual band rig for the car, which does what is needed.
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

What about this:-
https://www.qsonet.com/programs.html

I've used it in the past and it fills a void. Had some good times on it and not once in the time i used it did i come across any idiots.
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

I used something like this for a mic:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Desktop-Micro ... Sw2s1UusSo
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
falbo

Post by falbo »

Sorry to hear about your experiences. Would a magnetic loop antenna work with any success in your qth. I also sometimes feel like selling and giving up /get fed up with it but in the end always come back to the radio after a couple of weeks or months. The ft817 is a great little radio to take out and about and this is what I use with a mobile hf antenna on a magmount on the car usually beside the beach. I hope you return to radio after a break and give it another go. 73
68TM006 PAUL.ARDGLASS CO DOWN N.IRELAND.
tbftb
Regular
Regular

Post by tbftb »

You'd be surprised what can be achieved with a bit of ingenuity, some super thin wire and a SGC smart tuner. 73
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Thanks for all the comments, as I said earlier have sold the 817 and now only have one radio - 2m/70cms dual-band FM in the car :wave: