Scanner problems

A place for new members to say hello and to introduce yourself.

If you're not sure where to post, try here!
Pikeman01
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: No

Scanner problems

Post by Pikeman01 »

:hi i am anew member based in Wisbech and new to scanners having loads of problems can any one help i have a radio shack pro 2035 coupled to a scan king royal discone 2000 antenna but not receiving many of the local frequencies i put in apart from the odd taxi firm and a few aircraft thanks
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Scanner problems

Post by Admiral »

Welcome to TM1.

What do you mean by 'local frequencies'? If this is a list you've obtained online then the chances are it's 10 years out of date and most of the analogue signals have now gone. If you can hear taxis and aircraft then the setup seems to be working.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Welcome to the forums.

As admiral says Analogue is about dead these days but there is still plenty to be had if you have patients.

I will give you a small list below of some frequency ranges to scan or listen out on where you should find something at least.

144 MHz - 146 MHz, Mode: NFM, Step: 12.5 (2 M HAM Band).
446 MHz - 447 MHz, Mode: NFM, Step: 12.5 (Scan this range as it covers the PMR 446 bands).
447 MHz - 470 MHz, Mode: NFM, Step: 12.5 (Scan this range as there should be quite a bit of analogue Business traffic still around, there is in Leicester where I am).

I think the above is where you will find the most of the activity.

Also as Admiral says try the Air Band from about 108 MHz - 137 MHz, Mode: AM, Step: 5 or 12.5 as well as the FM Radio Band from 88.8 MHz to 108 MHz, Mode: WFM, Step: I don't remember without going and looking at my Realistic Pro 2006 but I think it is 12.5.

Hope this helps a bit.
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

welcome :thumbup:
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
Pikeman01
Regular
Regular

Post by Pikeman01 »

Many thanks for all information been told many problems are due to where i live as i live in a bungalow antenna not high enough so will put up higher maximum high can only be about 10 meters and am changing coax from
RG8 mini to LRM400 have had new coax delivered but it says S400B so hopefully reception will get better again many thanks john
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Welcome to TM1. Good luck with moving the antenna :thumbup:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

The S400B is good stuff, but unless you have a more than average length coax run, it's not going to make a huge difference to the amount of "stuff" you can pick up at your location. It's still nice to have though :mrgreen:

One thing that can mess up reception on a broadband antennae such as your is man made rf noise (qrm) Locations vary hugely on this subject, from in the middle of a housing estate, especially at Christmas with all those cheap Chinese made LED decorations radiating a wide spectrum of RF noise, or you could be next to an industrial estate, or close to power lines. Ideally, you would be the only house on top of a rural hill.

Do you consider you live in a place with high levels of RF interference nearby?

Suggest you get familiar with how to set it to scan between 2 pre-set frequencies, then perhaps set it to the 2Mtr amateur band (as mentioned above ^^^) or the aircraft band (again, as above ^^^) and see what you get. You should get regular traffic on those bands, and if you do, then you know all is at least working. Then you can research and start to explore more "interesting" bands.

Then, when you get bored, you can hook it up to a computer, tune in to all those buzzing noise digital channels, and sometimes even see what they are saying :?
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

Pikeman01 wrote:I have a radio shack pro 2035
I just looked THAT SET, up and it looks like a very useful bit of kit and with your Discone it should be capable of picking up lots of stuff :mrgreen: :thumbup:

However, as pointed out ^^^, much of the traffic these days is digital, including stuff like Fire-brigade, Police, Ambulance, and even most "HQ to van or lorry" systems.

I do miss the days when one could tune in to mobile phone conversations :silent:
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

pikeman have you ever been the wisbech arms ?
love your familly
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I'm sure the OP loves fishing, but 'Pikeman' is an unfortunate handle for Wisbech.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

Admiral wrote:I'm sure the OP loves fishing, but 'Pikeman' is an unfortunate handle for Wisbech.
please dont make me laugh admiral :lolno:
love your familly
Minus1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Minus1 »

Plenty of military activity around you: Mildenhall, Lakenheath, Marham, Holbeach Range.
The ATC transmitter at Chedburgh, 36 miles away, is line of sight, try 128.6 Volmet for example.
KEY : = channel/stud | ~ = CTCSS/DCS | ^ = transmitter site | ¯ = overhead | * = trunked
Pikeman01
Regular
Regular

Post by Pikeman01 »

Hi so sorry if my last post was offended or upset anyone I just answered aquestion I was asked about wisbech arms and just wanted information on scanning between 2 pre set channels again so sorry pikeman01 john