Best mag mounted CB Antenna.?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Re: Best mag mounted CB Antenna.?

Post by ghost123uk »

andrew233 wrote:modulator twin coil
The OP did say "Best mag mounted CB Antenna" ;) Image

John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The Modulator twin coil is a nice looking antenna and a piece of history but a bit pointless IMO.

It is a bit too big to use mobile and if you are going to use an antenna whilst parked up why not just use a 9ft whip?
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Looks like I'm the only one still using a K40 . Time I upgraded I guess :)

S.
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

I am tempted to get one of those Sunker things.

Whilst the Modulator works well I am always worried about it coming off of the roof at speed. I would settle for slightly less performance if I knew it would stay where it was... Also it is small enough not to look silly (Like the large Sirios)
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

ghost123uk wrote:
andrew233 wrote:modulator twin coil
The OP did say "Best mag mounted CB Antenna" ;) Image

Yes i know he said magmount what you think i put the thing on grease proof paper {bnghd} {bnghd}
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
Retrodog
Call Sign: 26SW07

Post by Retrodog »

ghost123uk wrote:I've always fancied doing a mobile antenna "shoot out". Get another station 5 miles away to connect up a digital meter to their S meter. Then, obviously using the same rig and car, try out lots of different aerials and note down the reading the other guy is getting on his digital meter.

Now I have done this (back in the day), but we didn't write it down :roll: :oops: We just made a mental note of which one was best, iirc it was a centre loaded "Modulator", but you can't use that on a mag mount!! (unless parked up, DX'ing, which we did often).
Did a test at 100 miles mobile to mobile (Peak district to Black Rock Sands Pothmadog) with a friend not long ago, we both used the same radio's and he tried a Sirio HP4000, then a 7ft firestick and finally a 9ft whip. No noticeable difference whatsoever.

You can drive with a HP4000 on a magmount but not advisable to do so with the other two.
I didn't think £36.00 was much to pay for a reliable strong mobile antenna, tried loads over the years but the 4000 is nice and light and well made.

Had Modulators in the past, still have an MDX? in the garage somewhere even had the homebase one with the two hectically wound counterpoise legs back in the day.
That one was total and utter junk. It fell to bits quickly and upon investigation I was stunned to see that the support for wire wound to make the counterpoise was wooden rods and they had rotted!

I wish Sirio made mobile antennas of the same design for 17,15 and 12m.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Benny wrote:Best in performance.

Tank whip. Simple physics. It's pretty much useless on the move, but if sheer performance is your thing then any type of coil loading compromises performance.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

Farty wrote:
Benny wrote:Best in performance.
Tank whip. Simple physics. It's pretty much useless on the move, but if sheer performance is your thing then any type of coil loading compromises performance.
True, I had one securely mounted in the centre of the roof of a Bedford CF van "passion wagon" (with 2.3 Ltr VX/4.90 power = 8) ) a good few years ago. It worked well, but the guy in the filling station in Pentre Mawr (N. Wales) was not impressed when it wiped out about 6 unprotected florescent tubes in the canopy :o
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Benny

Post by Benny »

The sunker arrived today - decent build quality - nice strong mag . Performance seems as good as my old Wilson 1000 which I've had for 10 years - the swr has been creeping up hence the new purchase. £34 for the sunker V £80 for the Wilson - no brainer really.
QRP Rules OK!
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ghost123uk »

I'm curious about that coil on the Sunker. From the pictures, I don't think it's your usual loading coil, it looks more like an impedance match or summat.

Benny wrote:£34 for the sunker
Ya coulda saved yer sen a tenner there ya knows looky here

Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

:arrow: I did buy a Sunker for £24 myself but I sent it back.

I wasn't impressed by the manget, I considered it too small and not strong enough. The soldering on the wires in the coil looked dodgy as well.

I suppose you get what you pay for... £10 extra for an ML-145 looks a better option IMO
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

Phoenix
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Phoenix »

Original Modulator still for sale to this day..Brilliant mobile twig and no issues mobile.
26TM114
Benny

Post by Benny »

ghost123uk wrote:I'm curious about that coil on the Sunker. From the pictures, I don't think it's your usual loading coil, it looks more like an impedance match or summat.

Benny wrote:£34 for the sunker
Ya coulda saved yer sen a tenner there ya knows looky here

That's the smaller version.

QRP Rules OK!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The one I bought for £24 and sent back was only about 10cm shorter than my Modulator
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

Dragonfly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM363

Post by Dragonfly »

That Sunker looks like it will melt with 200 up it ,
No dodgem car antennas here , K40 dose just fine .