Best mag mounted CB Antenna.?

This is the place to discuss any general CB radio related topics. Getting started, installations, operation etc.
Benny

Best mag mounted CB Antenna.?

Post by Benny »

In everyone's opinion -what is the best mobile cb antenna ?
QRP Rules OK!
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Best mag mounted CB Antenna.?

Post by Farty »

Best in what way?
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Benny

Post by Benny »

Best in performance.
QRP Rules OK!
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

I was discussing this over on another thread (about summat else, but it got off topic ;) )

imho, 95% of "performance" is simply size. The bigger the better. Obviously an expensive one will be better made and last longer. However, as you are talking Mag Mounts here, we can straight away remove really big stuff like full 1/4 wave whips, Firesticks and centre loaded "Modulators" (and clones) etc from the list.

Folk will no doubt come here and say the Sirio Blueline / 4000 / 5000 are the best, and I am sure they are good, but they are expensive. I was given the heads up one these Sunker Elite Magnetic Antenna. I've never tried one myself, but they get very good reviews and for the price I might well be getting one soon to try.

I also like ones that are not base loaded. I have several here that are helically wound, with much of the coil being concentrated higher up the twig. I find they work well. Guessing because much of the working part of the aerial is higher up than with a base loaded type. The only issue though is that they tend to be stiffer by virtue of the way they have to be constructed, so one has to be careful of tree branches etc. Also need a strong magnet in a 7" base to ensure they don't get blown off when passing a lorry in the opposite direction at speed. I have recently stopped using them on my new car for this reason "just in case".
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Best value twig on the £ per performance stakes IMO is the original modulator.

I can barely tell any difference between it and the 1/4 wave whip which I have.

Just don't buy a Moonraker magmount from Craplins as they are badly made, and usually have dodgy connections.

Those Sunker antennas look very good value as well, considering you get the magnet included.
Last edited by Mudslinger on 22 Dec 2016, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Benny

Post by Benny »

Great answers lads - thanks!
QRP Rules OK!
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

As mudslinger says the modulator is the best value for money as good as the sirios, firestick, tankwhips for a fraction of the price, i use a trimag although not cheap it gives a good ground to the antenna and better support so it wont come off the car,the single 7" sirio mounts are very strong,check the fittings of the mounts as there are 2 main types 3/8th and so239...
dt307
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 163dt307

Post by dt307 »

ml145 by siro is cheap and works great
megawatt 4000 or 5000 better but cost more
163dt307-chris

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.”
― Albert Einstein
GaryWilson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0GGQ

Post by GaryWilson »

I use a wilson 1000 it gets the job done !
26CT1836 2E0GGQ
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

sirio 4000 antenna is the best one for me :thumbup:
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

DV-27 mounted on a biscuit tin. Used by thousands of breakers back in the day :thumbup:
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
beamer320i
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by beamer320i »

Sirio 4000 mounted on a Sirio MAG 145 PL Magmount. You'll never need another mobile antenna.

Had mine 14 years now - stayed on at 85MPH when I've forgot it's on the roof, can handle shed loads of power if that's your thing, worked all over the world on it.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

I've always fancied doing a mobile antenna "shoot out". Get another station 5 miles away to connect up a digital meter to their S meter. Then, obviously using the same rig and car, try out lots of different aerials and note down the reading the other guy is getting on his digital meter.

Now I have done this (back in the day), but we didn't write it down :roll: :oops: We just made a mental note of which one was best, iirc it was a centre loaded "Modulator", but you can't use that on a mag mount!! (unless parked up, DX'ing, which we did often).
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

beamer320i wrote:Sirio 4000 mounted on a Sirio MAG 145 PL Magmount. You'll never need another mobile antenna.

Had mine 14 years now - stayed on at 85MPH when I've forgot it's on the roof, can handle shed loads of power if that's your thing, worked all over the world on it.
what dom says is bang on. great dx antenna :thumbup:
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

sirio 4000 , 5000 , modulator twin coil original bullwhip , 1/4 wave , scarlet warrior, are the only ones i use apart from a 4 ele yagi and imax when parked up
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72